Decorating your coop ***UPDATED*** added pics!

Can you post some pics of your coop? Easier to see what to give ideas on decorating your space.
big_smile.png

Yep, we need pictures! Our coop is a "craftsman" coop that fits well with the house. We're not going to decorate except for a framed picture of Bob Dylan and the words "The sun's not yellow" painted over the door.

Long story. But perfect for our coop and personal history.

Last edited:
There are some beautiful coops. Mostly, I think what makes them gorgeous and sets them apart is paint.
Paint will preserve the wood and makes it easier to clean.

I use Oops paint because it is $5 per gallon and I am not extrememly fussy about color. I like Dark contrast with light so I use the darker Oops colors and trim in white. But you can go further and use beautiful hinges, glass knobs, Some ornate trims.

You can be whimsical or go with more victorian notions whatever fits your fancy. The chickens won't mind either way. Have fun and see how creative you can be without spending a fortune or if you have a fortune then spend away. Me being Thrifty well I won't spend a fortune but there are some really cleaver things you can do with found objects and repurpose things you never imagined repurposing for your chickens.

Caroline

The coop you have will make a difference in "style" of decorations, but I like the old tin feed signs, some typle of wooden or tin "chickeny" sign, pretty much anything. Some people do wonders with hanging baskets and pretty flowers around the fronts of their coops. And light/bright colors to makes things look warm, sunny, and/or cheerful... Looking forward to pics.
smile.png

Here is what I did. I took what I had - an open hutchish coop and added a run. (I still need to add the nest box to the side and get it off the floor of the coop to give them more room. But, they aren't nesting yet. ) I hate my coop and wish it was more substantial and barn-like but we have no construction skills and no money to pay someone. I bought the main coop part from a farmer who keeps four chickens in each one of these and she has about 15 scattered around her farm. So, I thought it would be OK. I guess it is OK -- but I covet the nice ones - so I named it "the chicken palace" - kind of sarcastically and put up a chandelier sticker and a rooster sticker under the roost.
smile.png

What do you think? Ok for four chickens (two are bantams)? I let them out for an hour or two everyday. I guess I am feeling chicken mom guilt because I want them to have a nice prefab one. I plan on covering the walls in the winter - I haven't really figured out how yet. The farmer I bought it from covers hers with feed bags in the winter. It does get pretty cold here. But, right now the openess is AWESOME since it is like 98 with 100 percent humidity. Grossest summer ever!

54659_gardenupdate_429.jpg

54659_gardenupdate_420.jpg

54659_gardenupdate_447.jpg

checking out the new digs.

54659_gardenupdate_433.jpg

nipple waterer! Best invention ever. Free icing container from Kroger and nipples bought from Niel.

I bought "paintings" of chickens (it's some kind of print process -- but they are on canvas). Also I got a cast-iron stepping stone/trivet that's been screwed over a vent hole in the gable. Another thing I got was a weather vane garden decor item, like a shepherd's hook -- it's going on top of a cupola, where a weather vane belongs.

Here are some interior notions -- stencil, wall paper borders, a valance or curtains at the windows, a plate rack, a clock. You might consider a chicken theme or an over the top formal theme -- Victorian, French country, English country.

For the exterior there are Shutters, window boxes, hanging plants, potted plants, garden stones, decorative molding, fretwork, concrete figures, chairs.

As for paint -- on the interior if you paint a pale terracotta or a warm-golden-peach it will look clean and reflect light but will conceal dirt better than white. On the outside, follow your instincts.

We need pictures.

Jenny

Quote:
Hahaha!!! OMGosh...until I read, I thought that was a REAL mini chandelier in there! That's adorable...every bit as cute and many of the premade coops! Depending on prices in your area, I'd cut plexiglass to fit as many openings as you can come winter time, to take advantage of the sun's warming rays and the light.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom