Decoy eggs to encourage broodiness?

Jayzandra

Songster
10 Years
Apr 5, 2012
Mohave County, Arizona
I have read/heard that leaving about a dozen decoy eggs in a nest box can get a hen to go broody. Has anyone ever had any luck with this? If so, is there a prime time of year, like say Spring, that is best to do this or can it be done any time?

My young roo just started mating with my ladies and I'd like to hatch out some chicks. I'd rather a hen do it than an incubator.

Hens can go broody at anytime, the decoy eggs should help. I have two broodies right now, one with two chicks and one on the nest :D

I can work, but it depends on the hens. Some hens and some breeds are more prone to broodiness than others. My MIL had a small flock of bantams that were legendary broodies. I once "forgot" to collect eggs for 2 or 3 days, went into the coop and found 5 hens have gone broody on the eggs in the boxes! My own flock, on the other hand took much longer to get the hint. Give it a try and see how it works with your flock?

I have a SLW, RIR, Black Star, and EE.I put a dozen eggs out there 4 days ago and I THINK the RIR is going broody. This morning most of the eggs were in a different box and she was sitting on them with her wings all spread out to cover them. She's not a puffy or hissing at me though, so IDK...

I have a SLW, RIR, Black Star, and EE.I put a dozen eggs out there 4 days ago and I THINK the RIR is going broody. This morning most of the eggs were in a different box and she was sitting on them with her wings all spread out to cover them. She's not a puffy or hissing at me though, so IDK...

A broody hen will usually only get aggressive if you reach into the nest box.

A broody hen will usually only get aggressive if you reach into the nest box.
I did reach under her to see if there were any newly laid eggs. There was one fresh one not marked so I brought it in. She just sat there and let me. I'm going to go check in a few hours to see if she's still on the eggs.

Maybe she is broody but also a very friendly hen.

If she is sitting on the nest most of the time, you will know she is broody.

Back
Top Bottom