decrease temperature for the hatch?

Quote:
Former biology professor
tongue.png

For upping your humidity, have you tried standing a sponge on end in the water reservoir, or draping a paper towel or cheesecloth over something tall that sticks up out of the water? More surface area.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
Yep. In the past, just a couple of little bowls with sponges were sufficient, but I've since moved and lately have needed a whole lot more than that.

Quote:
Do you know what the temperature is in the hatching tray? Is it approx. 2 degrees cooler than the little fellas sitting in the turning racks?

The temp is the same throughout the incubator. I keep mine at 100.2 and the fan circulates the air well, maintaining the constant temp on all levels. I have 3 upeer levels attached to the turner and a stationary bottom shelf for hatching.
I only use the lower temp when I use the separate hatcher.
The separate hatcher has all 4 stationary shelves. I keep the temp set at 98 degrees.
Since I'm staggering hatches using only the 'bator this time, the hatching temp for the eggs is 100.2 - the same as the incubating temp. I have 7 pips right now in that bottom hatching tray while I have 2 sets incubating in the turners above.
As for humidity, when I stagger hatches, I raise the humidity to 50-55% during a hatch, then I drop it down to 40-45% when nothing is in lockdown.
So far, this has worked well for me.
Right now I have 13 MF cochin project eggs in my 'bator. They came from Ca to Pa. All 13 made it to lockdown & so far (mid-day 20) I have 7 pips.
I don't see a difference in my hatch rates when I use the separate hatcher at 98 degrees.
It is easier to maintain a higher humidity when the temps are lower. When using both hatcher & 'bator, I incubate at 100.2 degrees & 40% humidity, and hatcher is set at 98 degrees & 65% humidity.

Back
Top Bottom