Decrowing Roosters.

Decrowing Roosters, Positive or Negative??

• Positive

Votes: 239 61.0%
  • Negative

Votes: 153 39.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I live in central Florida on 2.5 acres which means I have neighbors and even though I don't have any roosters (because of the noise), I do have a dozen egg laying hens. I would like to have a crow-less rooster if it wasn't too cost prohibitive. Be nice to have a RIR, New Hampshire or Cuckoo Maran roo that was QUIET !
I don't understand why we can breed for type, feathers, color, meat, temperment, egg laying, and numerous other things, but no-one has come up with a breed (or cross-breed) of quiet roosters. I would think there would be a huge demand.

Bob,

frow.gif
Howdy Dr James. Just found this thread. I love it. Good to see you on here. I'm so glad to know you followed your dream.
yesss.gif

Bike on up and visit some weekend if you get a chance.
D.gif
We'd love to see you and your sweetheart again.

frow.gif
Howdy Dr James. Just found this thread. I love it. Good to see you on here. I'm so glad to know you followed your dream.
yesss.gif

Bike on up and visit some weekend if you get a chance.
D.gif
We'd love to see you and your sweetheart again.
Hey Tony,
We are actually up here in Jersey for a few days, went to the New York City today.
Kate is actually practicing at the arena now, I'm sure she'll hit up the swap when she gets some free time. I'll see you around I'm sure.

Dr. James

There is no way we could afford $250 for that, but if we could, I would love to have a quiet rooster. I want a rooster badly and we are considering getting one, but I am not sure how my neighbors will take it, if I can even stand the noise myself.

Wow this is awesome, Do you have any Roosters yet for sale, and are there any vets in Western NY that would do this?
I have a few that I decrowed a couple of weeks ago. A pair of blue splash Japanese bantams, about 3 seramas and a young golden duckwing Leghorn (Silver leghorn rooster over a Brown Leghorn hen). So far they are all still pretty much silent. I also have several other breeds that are growing up right now also. I'll get some before and after videos out soon, I'm going to wait until at least 3 wks post surgery. At that point they seem to be at the volume they will maintain.

I dont know of anybody in that part of the country that can or would do this surgery. I looked for years to find somebody to teach me, and he is in Pheonix.

Its hard isn't it.....I have just put my big lad in a rabbit hutch for the first time to see if he wont cockadoodle.......................and its now 6.20 and I think I have just heard him for the first time....I have put him in the side where the rabbits hide, so he cant put his head up to crow......hang on now I hear him lots...nope not helpful sorry....talk about perfect timing..x
good luck honey x
yuckyuck.gif

I have a few that I decrowed a couple of weeks ago. A pair of blue splash Japanese bantams, about 3 seramas and a young golden duckwing Leghorn (Silver leghorn rooster over a Brown Leghorn hen). So far they are all still pretty much silent. I also have several other breeds that are growing up right now also. I'll get some before and after videos out soon, I'm going to wait until at least 3 wks post surgery. At that point they seem to be at the volume they will maintain.

I dont know of anybody in that part of the country that can or would do this surgery. I looked for years to find somebody to teach me, and he is in Pheonix.
We really want a rooster but no one seems to know about this proceedure on the east coast, my two top hens have taken over the rooster role and can get loud LOL! They woke me up the other morning and I thought something was wrong I let out the dogs got my son and we ran down to the chickens to find that they were either trying to get our attention or just being loud because they can! But we love chickens and for whatever reason feel that we need a rooster it seems it would complete our mixed flock and a Blue Splash Japanaese Bantam is awesome. I can't wait to see the videos.

I paid $250 to have my dog fixed. I certainly think it is a fair price to have the crow removed. I am rehoming my roo because the neighbors are super-annoyed with me. I love all the roo responsibilities and what a great leader mine is. The crowing is just too loud for a neighborhood, even out here in the boonies.

Back
Top Bottom