Decrowing

Even if you did find someone that would de-crow a rooster, the mortality risk is high--something like 30%, if I remember correctly. And very expensive. If there is a veterinary school nearby, you could check with them.

The surgery involves cutting muscles instead of removing vocal cords (I don't think chickens have these, but I'm not sure). Here is something I found:

"While this sounds like a great idea, it is not a simple procedure. Dr. Bernard Wentworth, emeritus professor at the University of Wisconsin, agrees. He tried some of these surgeries many years ago. The muscles that allow the syrinx to contract need to be cut. The syrinx is located at the very bottom of the trachea, where it splits and enters the lungs, so it is not easy to get to these muscles. "It's a difficult and risky surgical procedure, since you're close to some very important blood vessels," Wentworth says. Unfortunately, I don't know of any good ways to keep a rooster from crowing at this time. If you're in an area that doesn't allow them, you probably will have to stick with hens."
Stephanie

I live in the city. We are not allowed to have roosters here, and I would really like one. However, de-crowing a rooster to me is wrong. As is de-barking a dog. Our neighbors didn't want the "noise" of their dog barking and had him surgically de-barked. Barbaric, IMHO.
sad.png

Cathy

Quote:
It really sucks when we are put into the position of having to make choices like this.

I would say just move to the country and solve your problem... yeah, like it would be that easy!
roll.png

I personally wouldn't consider decrowing, but I don't have the restrictions placed on me that you do. If I put myself in your shoes, I guess it is a viable alternative.

I'm with Rooster-red on this one, not something I would do myself, but I can see where you're coming from.

I guess my biggest concern would be if their was pain involved after the surgery. Obviously if he's under anesthesia during the procedure he's not going to feel it...but what about after? Is he going to be in pain everyday from having this procedure done? Or would he just be sore for a few days, liken to getting a cat/dog spayed?

Certainly it's a risk, as Hencackle pointed out, having the surgery done, but if he's going to be killed otherwise...and he would be under anesthesia already if the surgery went bad, so I don't see how it could be worse then taking a hatchet to him. At least he won't feel it if dies on the surgeons table.

I do think you should try and find a vet to do it for you, since it sounds complicated. JMO

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I did a pretty extensive Google search on it. I could find detailed instructions about caponizing at home (without anethesia!) but not much more than what you posted about de-crowing.

I could check with a veterinary school, that's a good idea, though I doubt they'll have any clue about it. This is not an agricultural area. I'm wondering if I could do something like caponizing - making a small cut in the right place and snipping the right things. I've seen a picture of an opened rooster and the syrinx seems pretty close to the surface. I want to know what the "simple" procedure Dr. Babcock developed is. And if it fails, well, I would have an educational anatomy lesson, dinner, and the rooster wouldn't feel a thing...

Angie, I'd imagine the pain would be temporary. People have done it and the roosters lived normal lives, so that doesn't seem to me to describe a permanently painful situation. It's hard to find good information about it since it's not widely done.

homecatmom and rooster-red: I really think the law here about chickens is stupid. Roosters aren't any noisier than a dog, but people don't think much about barking dogs. It's just prejuduce against "dirty" farm animals, trying to keep them as restricted as possible.
roll.png

Last edited:
And where exactly are you planning on finding the Anethesia medicine to do the procedure yourself? I seriously doubt you can just run down to the drug store or petsmart and pick some up. And Caponizing to me is cruel to do a procedure without anethesia of any kind, your chances are high for a risk of infection and I am sure you do not have a sterile room for the procedure.

Yes I agree with Silkie chicken, thats what I was getting at, the though of doing it yourself without anaesthetic!.
If you do find a vet that can do this, well I wish him the best of luck.
Hope you both have a good outcome.
helen

I'd like to give you credit for having the nerve to post that question here.
I've also pondered the process myself. It's not terribly uncommon for people
to do this with parrots and other exotic birds.

Ethically I don't see a large problem with this. All things being relative, a quiet
rooster may have a good life. With that said there are people who would
argue cock fighting is not inhumane because the roosters may enjoy the fight.
The philosophy of this is too deep and intense to get involved with here.

Call some vets and vet schools. Heavily research it and keep us posted.
I wish I had more to contribute on this subject.

Maybe I am missing something, but are you hatching eggs and thinking that some will turn out to be roosters from the ones you hatch or are you wanting roosters so you can hatch eggs in the future???? Either way, with the roosters you will wind up with, there has to be someone you can give them to. Even though you don't live in an agricultural area. Within a reasonable driving distance there will be plenty of people who want roosters. Our feed store takes them with no questions asked. People who do breed chickens will want them and then there is always the vet schools. They may wind up as anatomy lessons, but at least you wont' have to deal with them and maybe the schools will turn out more poulty vets.
wink.png
There is always craigs list and fairs and such. Believe me, somewhere there will be someone who will want your roos.

Back
Top Bottom