Deep bedding on concrete is damp

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
My coop, which is inside another shed, has a concrete floor and I've made the bedding quite deep; about 6 to 8 inched of straw and pine shavings in about equal parts. It's huge for 4 chickens - nearly 50 square feet, has plenty of ventilation, and doesn't smell at all. Theyve been in since the first part of October. But, today I went to "fluff" it up and noticed that there was considerable dampness at floor level. We're not talking dripping wet, but definitely damp where the bedding meets the floor. The top half of the bedding appears dry. It is possible there's a roof leak. It's an old shed and there are leaky spots but we purposely put the coop in a place I thought was dry.

I guess my question is, how bad is this? I keep thinking that coops with dirt floors, or open air coops, must be damp frequently. Since there is plenty of ventilation, will it be okay? I'm not sure exactly what to do here.

Advice is most welcome.
20221009_143822.jpg
20221010_184650.jpg

Might there be damp coming from the ground, how is drainage at this building? And is it really humid generally where you live?
We also have a concrete floor in our coop, with deep bedding, and have added rubber stall mats over most of the floor, which has helped keep the bedding dryer.
As long as you don't have moldy bedding, I don't think it's a major concern.
Roof leaks aren't good! And straw isn't as easy to manage as the wood shavings.
Also that chicken wire won't keep predators out...
Mary

Might there be damp coming from the ground, how is drainage at this building? And is it really humid generally where you live?
We also have a concrete floor in our coop, with deep bedding, and have added rubber stall mats over most of the floor, which has helped keep the bedding dryer.
As long as you don't have moldy bedding, I don't think it's a major concern.
Roof leaks aren't good! And straw isn't as easy to manage as the wood shavings.
Also that chicken wire won't keep predators out...
Mary
Thank you. Since they are locked inside another building, we aren't concerned about predators.

I don't think it's from the ground, I think it's a roof leak. The rest of the shed has some leaks here and there. I didn't think this part did, but it could have just started.

But it sounds like if the top is dry and the bottom isn't molding it's not an emergency?

It is possible there's a roof leak.
I hate the metal roof on my pole barn as it leaks condensation on cold sunny mornings when there's NO rain... it's raining in the pole barn. And yet it is NOT leaking when it does rain. :he Proper installation perhaps would solve this,

No amount of ventilation will fix it.. the same thing happens under my covered runs that are completely open on the side and my back patio.

Best wishes! :fl

Back
Top Bottom