Deep bedding on concrete is damp

Thanks everyone. I was worried I was going to have to shovel it all out right away. I will spray some flex seal where I think any leaks are...will go out during the next major rain...and I'll put more shavings.

We are planning to replace a couple of the roof tin panels in the spring with clear corrugated panels like a greenhouse, for light, since there is no electric to the coop. We'll hopefully fix any major leaks then.

But it sounds like if the top is dry and the bottom isn't molding it's not an emergency?

Correct.

If you're concerned, add more dry bedding to help dry it out more, or swap it out. I think it's fine as-is though.

I agree. Outside in my chicken run, I have about 12 inches of litter on the ground. The top layers are mostly bone dry while the bottom layers are damp like a wrung out sponge. It has never been a problem for me. In my chicken coop, I use dry deep bedding, but even there the chicken poo and any liquid automagically works its way to the bottom and it is not bone dry where the floor and the litter meet. But, again, it has never been a problem for me. The top layers of bedding are dry and that's all I care about.

If you have a leaky roof, then your bedding on the top layer would probably be wet where the water is leaking. Again, it may or may not be a problem for you. As long as there is time for the bedding to dry out, then you probably don't need to worry about mold.

Don't forget that if your bedding passes the smell test, it's probably OK. If you have an offensive odor, then it's time to take action. Pretty much how I manage my bedding issues. The nose knows.

Those clear panels get brittle and fail in a few years, not a good idea. Also, letting the sun shine in, depending on their position, may make the interior too hot.
How about a window opening instead?
Mary

I did not know that. I like the idea of using clear panels for light, but maybe not if they might fail in the middle of winter.

I didn't either. Greenhouses last quite a few years, don't they? I wouldn't have thought it would be an issue. We really need light! The roof slant faces north and in summer trees shade the side of the shed the coop is on. That's why I chose that end. It keeps the metal shed from overheating. But we have discussed more windows as well. Still, skylights would be pretty awesome, light-wise.

Ask before buying! And 'how long' might be long enough for you. It wasn't for us...
Mary
I just Googled it and the corrugated polycarbonate was said to last 20 years! Really, even 10 would be way more than long enough. It's a crappy old shed. Not sure how long it will last. We'll have to look into it more.

I just Googled it and the corrugated polycarbonate was said to last 20 years!

I was just going to suggest asking the salespeople how long their panels are expected to last. I know our local Menards has different panels, of varying quality, and the more expensive panels are supposed to last longer than the less expensive ones.

But yeah, if you have about 5 years of life left on your shed, you probably can save some money and get a less expensive panel instead of that 20 year panel.

Back
Top Bottom