Deep bedding

I'm not an expert but the deep litter or bedding system in the coop is just collecting the poop when they roost at night. All my roost are at the same height so there is no competition. The bed is a 12" high box that lines the coop bottom and yes it is painted several times to protect the wood floor. I have 6 to 8" of the Hemp Bedding from New Country Organics.com it is a Old dominion hemp product. She has an online order set up. No I'm not getting any kick back I just believe in the product. You don't have to do anything with it just spread it out evenly. It automatic starts natural decomposing, low dust and last over a year. I have 20 chickens on it. NO SMELL at all. It cost a little more in the beginning but if you don't have to change for a 1 1/2 or more then it is the lowest cost system out there. You can even add to your run and it does the same. You don't have to put as much because the scratch and move it around. I'll never use anything else. Try it you will be surprised.

I use deep bedding without poop boards and I love it. The hens stir the bedding for me, as I give them their daily treat of scratch and mealworms inside the coop every afternoon. I never scoop or remove poop; and there is no smell. The poop is hard to find, actually.

Also, the roost I use is a 2X4 wrapped in newspaper, which I change out regularly; so I don't even scrape the roost.

With deep bedding, do you stir all the poop as with deep litter and just freshen it up?
I don't stir it around because the chickens do this for me,

I use scratch or mealworms to encourage the chickens to dig around in the shavings.

I found that in my situation I had to top off shavings every couple weeks (or add leaves, pine straw, or whatever else I was mixing with my shavings). How often you need to stir, top off, and/or change the bedding will depend on the density of chickens and how deep you can accumulate bedding before it spills out.

I have the deep liter system using the HEMP product. 6 months so far and no smell at all. This will last over a year before i clean it. It decomposes right away and begins breaking down the smell as soon as it drops. LOL. If you are not using the Hemp product for your deep litter system then you are waisting your money and spend way too much time tending to it. FYI - I have 20 chickens in a 6' x 8' coop and it works great. I have absolutely no smell at all. I am a firm believer in this product.

I am wanting to try this method. I am looking at the HEMP product on Amazon and wondering how much I need to get for a 12' x 8' coop and twelve chickens.
So, any suggestion on how much HEMP Litter I may need to get? This is the one I am looking at. Or is there a less expensive source that others have found?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SP4X2W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A36STBE1TJHB9T&psc=1

What is the difference in "Deep Bedding" and "Deep Litter". Is it using different product or is it a different process?

The best of my understanding is that Deep Bedding is a dry process where an abundance of dry organic material absorbs the moisture from the poop to create a clean and odor-free environment while Deep Litter is a composting process (usually cold composting, but hot is possible), where there is moisture and, optimally, ground contact to introduce the beneficial microbes and organisms, where the poop and the organic material react, creating compost as an end product.

My in-town setup had Deep Bedding in the coop and Deep Litter in the run and never had an odor problem that a 3-4 inch layer of fresh, dry material couldn't solve.

The best of my understanding is that Deep Bedding is a dry process where an abundance of dry organic material absorbs the moisture from the poop to create a clean and odor-free environment while Deep Litter is a composting process (usually cold composting, but hot is possible), where there is moisture and, optimally, ground contact to introduce the beneficial microbes and organisms, where the poop and the organic material react, creating compost as an end product.

My in-town setup had Deep Bedding in the coop and Deep Litter in the run and never had an odor problem that a 3-4 inch layer of fresh, dry material couldn't solve.
Great explanation!

Back
Top Bottom