Deep bedding

i have deep bedding and the chickens mix it all up. i also mix in diatomaceous earth periodically. i just have plywood floors other than under their waterer...i have hardware wire that allows any excess water or splash to drop below to the ground and not into the bedding. i live in a fairly mild climate but have open air windows on one side of the coop and a couple of gable vents with a timered fan. the bedding stays dry and i have yet to completely clean out the coop. i add a little bit more bedding periodically. personally...the deep bedding is very convenient. i agree 100% with what somebody said above...you shouldn’t smell ammonia.

What is

What is the HEMP product? I have used wood chips for years with no problems and never thought I was WAISTING my money!!
I have used Pine Flakes so, I'm in the same position as you.
I didn't think of it as wasting money either.
I am not educated on the Hemp bedding. But, Ill need to read more about it because apparently, it is super absorbent and it's care is significantly decreased.
I do know Hemp vs Cannibus has different processing and uses.
But, who knows! Perhaps even if you can get "high" from Hemp maybe my chickens would be stoned and eat a lot more. Idk but, I'll read about it and weigh out my options and costs.

I have the deep liter system using the HEMP product. 6 months so far and no smell at all. This will last over a year before i clean it. It decomposes right away and begins breaking down the smell as soon as it drops. LOL. If you are not using the Hemp product for your deep litter system then you are waisting your money and spend way too much time tending to it. FYI - I have 20 chickens in a 6' x 8' coop and it works great. I have absolutely no smell at all. I am a firm believer in this product.

what is the “HEMP product” you are referring to?

Am I the only one here that thinks chickens scratching around in their coop with all of their poop is unhealthy? Why would you want your chickens scratching around in their poop? Seems unsanitary to me.

Well I am sure THEY don't mind, but can't scratching around in poop spread disease and bacteria? What if there are mites lurking in the bottom?.excuse my ignorance, it just seems kind of gross and unhealthy

Am I the only one here that thinks chickens scratching around in their coop with all of their poop is unhealthy? Why would you want your chickens scratching around in their poop? Seems unsanitary to me.
Do you have chickens?
How do you keep them from scratching poop?

Back
Top Bottom