Deep litter/bedding on top of sand?

Janeofalltrades

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2022
Mammoth lakes, ca
Hey all, does anyone have experience putting Hemp bedding or deep litter for that matter on top of sand?

I have sand in my coop but was going to put hemp bedding down on top of it for winter.
I know sand doesn't compost so I know it won't be true deep litter, just exploring options to keep the gals more comfortable in below freezing temps.
Any thoughts?

While I don't use hemp bedding, my soils ARE sandy clays and clay-y sands. I DO deep litter. Works great. With time, the sands and clays under the slowly composting deep litter will improve and actually become useful.
Yeah but that's outside in the run though, right? Not inside the coop? It wouldn't be the same benefit outside vs. inside. Outside you have soil to improve, so if your soil is sandy (or you've put sand in the run), over time the composting material will improve soil quality and make up for the sand.

Inside the coop though... that's a whole different story. Unless the coop has no floor and is sitting straight on top of the soil, but I don't think that's the case here. If it's an ordinary coop with a wooden floor, with sand on the bottom and deep litter on top, if it's true deep litter we're talking about and not deep bedding - as in, the active, moist, composting reaction - then it might get tricky with the sand, because the mix will need to be moist for the reaction to happen. Moist sand is just a whole separate beast - it might freeze solid in the winter, if the reaction isn't managed well and doesn't produce enough heat. And it might not do well being diluted by a lot of sand.

If we're talking about the deep bedding method though - the dry method that doesn't compost actively - then that would work better, if you want to just put something more comfortable on top of the sand for the chickens to walk on. Deep bedding needs to be changed periodically though (I take mine out twice a year), so when that time comes, it will be harder to do because of the added weight of the sand. Ideally, what I'd do in your situation, is I'd get rid of all the sand, and only do deep bedding with a very thick bed of dry material (pine shavings, hemp, whatever you have). If you want something less cold for the chickens to walk on, and are considering putting that on the floor, there's no reason to keep the sand underneath. It won't help anything and will only be in the way when you need to clean the coop out in the spring (and if you want to compost the soiled bedding, the sand will only be in the way).

As we're in single digits now
Already?! Brrrr!

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1667567294120.png

:pop following
While I don't use hemp bedding, my soils ARE sandy clays and clay-y sands. I DO deep litter. Works great. With time, the sands and clays under the slowly composting deep litter will improve and actually become useful.

Deep litter is primarily useful for controlling odor and keeping things dry - it will do so even on top of sand.
Ah. Exactly what I needed to hear. As we're in single digits now the sand is suuupperr cold so I was hoping bedding on top would help a little. Probably won't, but it makes me feel better?

Don't place anything between whatever you are using for deep litter and the ground. Not only will it destroy your plywood, but DLM needs soil contact to allow beneficial microbes to move in and assist with the process. Otherwise, you are doing essentially "deep bedding" on ground. They plywood is just extra expense that makes the process less effective.

and I'm blessed with free leaf litter from the surrounding acres, so that's my choice. Wood chips, pine shavings, leaf litter as I use, almost any dry brown can be used. You also benefit from irregular shape/size. It helps ensure air pockets and that you don't form a solid mat layer - as can happen when people simply dump bags of wet grass clippings). Aerobic (with oxygen) good. Anaerobic (without) potentially bad. I'm not familiar enough with hemp materials to have an opinion one way or the other on it specifically as compared to other alternatives.

I like "cheap" - your birds, after all, are simply {defecating} on it. But something you feel comfortable then reusing as garden soil once its finished composting is definitely best.

I have a large chicken run with sand. I want to use deep litter method in it and am realizing sand is not great under hemp for the deep litter method. What about laying plywood panels on top of the sand and the hemp on top of that. I would pull out the compost for the garden in the spring, store the plywood and let the chickens have the sand for the summer months. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have a large chicken run with sand. I want to use deep litter method in it and am realizing sand is not great under hemp for the deep litter method. What about laying plywood panels on top of the sand and the hemp on top of that. I would pull out the compost for the garden in the spring, store the plywood and let the chickens have the sand for the summer months. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Just my 2 cents here: Hemp may not be the best substrate for a large run, unless you have access to a bulk supplier for very cheap (if so, please let me know who!). Also, it seems like the plywood will likely breakdown or rot (but I really dont know).

I have a large run that I originally filled w/ sand (about 10"). I quickly realized sand was going to be a major PITA for me, and switched to coarse wood chips / mulch.

I just put the wood chips right on top of the sand and I have had no issues. I occasionally rake/stir up the wood chips to aid the breaking down of the poo, and I add more wood chips on tops as needed. I will mention that my run is covered and we do not have issues with water pooling in or around it (this can make a difference for some people depending on their situation).

Back
Top Bottom