Deep litter method and bantams?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nuttyredhead, Nov 26, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Has anyone ever had a problem with the deep litter method and bantams? This is my first winter with chickens and im concerned that it will be too deep for some of my bantams, especially the silkies.

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    They have a tendency to sink into the litter likes it's quicksand and disappear forever...

No, not really. It won't be a problem, even chicks can be raised on litter.

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]:lau

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We have our Silkies on it. They do fine. I actually tend to notice that the shavings can get packed down over a few days of being stepped on, so adding more never creates a huge difference.

5. ND

ND Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Ditto ThePolishPrincess... they don't sink into it at all, and after a day or so, it's pretty packed except in places they've scratched... then it packs right back down with a few walking on it. The shavings I use you just don't sink into, even when they're newly poured in the coop. (just regular course pine shavings)

When I first started using a deep litter, I envisioned it being a little softer and fluffier. But it settles in a packs pretty firm very quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by