Deep Litter Method...How does it work for you?

dacdeihl

Songster
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
NorthEast, In
I started my flock in April. I now have two coops. One has 12 layers and the main coop has 28 layers. The large coop is an old shed that we transformed into a coop. It works well. Still need to add winter lighting and heat but other than that it works well.
I'm trying the deep litter method and I've noticed that the worst place in around their roost. I've cleaned that area up and I've been using Lime dust and adding a layer of wood shavings. Still it smells after only a couple of weeks of the new layers. I'm planning on cleaning it down to the dirt in a couple of weeks and starting over. So it lasted about six months. Does anyone else have any success with the DLM?

DLM works excellent for me....I put shavings down, and then yes, where they roost at nght, I have poop, I go in and I use a sifter and pull the poop out every 2-3 days...sift it around with a rake...I add poultry dust for lice/mites, and some DE...sift it more, add alittle more shavings...and it smells very clean and looks clean...I have no problems...and no flies....

I have 9 total in this flock for this coop, which is my main coop

36033_lil.jpg

36033_inside_coop.jpg

Before DLM, and they were babies....

LOVE IT
bow.gif
love.gif

I just use my pitch fork and take out the poop when it gets caked under the roost and top up on shavings

Love, love, love it.

When I started mine, I raked the ground and took out the large rocks. Then I dusted the dirt with DE, put a layer of animal bedding, then pine wood chips. Did I mention that I love, love,love it? No smell, no pests.
Bosque

DLM doesn't mean maintenance-free. I've found that a poop board under the roost, scraped off with an old paint scraper into the compost bin every few days keeps the coop quite nice. Keys (for me) are dry, dry, dry and poop board (or otherwise removing the pile that accumulates under the roosts). This is likely harder with a bigger flock, but mine is only 3 ladies.
ed

Diatomacheous Earth (FoodGrade)

I swear by deep litter and the poop board also (never thought a couple years ago those words could possibly come out of my mouth lol)

I had to search a lot of the local feed stores in town before I found any that had it. The stuff looks like flour, you don't want to breathe it.

Here's more information:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

If you want to get some, try to find it locally. A good feed store can probably special order it for you if they don't carry it, but you might have to buy 50lb's that way (which would last me probably 15 years) I think mypetchicken.com sells it, (nevermind, just checked there and didn't see any) you should be able to find it online easily, just watch the shipping charges.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom