deep litter method query

zippy123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Hi all,

I am a complete newbie here. I have read about the DLM in the coop but is it possible to do this in a run? I have a run with a roof and open sides. Would DLM work here or would it get too wet with the weather?

Just a thought :) any advice much appreciated.

Ta
Zippy

Some peopled do, although I would think you would have odor, etc. problems from rain blowing in from the side. You might consider sand, esp. since there is a roof, since sand can get too hot in full sun.

We are all unique. What works for one may not work for another because our differences.

One lady on the sister Gardening site fills her run with leaves in the fall and tosses kitchen wastes and gardening debris in there all the time. Her run is basically her compost pile. But she lives in a fairly dry climate and if I remember right, her run is raised a bit and somewhat sandy so it drains pretty well. I’m not sure how big her run is or how many chickens she has. The higher your chicken density the more poop gets dropped in a small area, so that could have an effect too. With the chickens constantly turning it and it draining fairly well, it’s a concept that can and does work for some people but could be a real problem for someone else.

Yes, I've done it in my run for 2 years and it works very well for us. I do it just like I do in the coop, keep layering leaves, straw, shavings, mulch, shredded paper, etc. The girls love it as it encourages leaf eating bugs and worms to come to the surface where they make a quick snack of them! They have a great time digging in it.

You handle any odor or wetness the same way you do in the coop - just add more carbon based litter material. We've never had a problem with flies or odor as we keep layering on the litter.

Another plus - I get the most magnificent dark compost out of the run to use in my garden that you've ever seen. It doesn't smell and is absolute Black Gold!

Back
Top Bottom