Deep Litter Method Smell

PDZ.jpg

I could be mistaken, but I think there is a difference between the 'deep litter method', which assumes a dirt floor and decomposition of litter, and simply having deep litter on a wood floor. On a wood floor, the litter must be kept DRY or the floor will rot. The litter needs to be regularly ( daily perhaps ) turned over right down to the wood. No decomposition takes place. If one has a dirt floor, fresh litter is added on top of whats down already, and the underlayer decomposes, which creates ( some ) heat and wonderful compost.
If the litter on a wood floor smells, its either wet ( and there can be lots of reasons for that ), or the coop is closed up too tight... in my opinion, after many many years with dogs, horses, stables and kennels. : )
I am presently using a couple inches of sand covered with several inches of shavings in my wood floored coops, and am finding it the best of both worlds. Dry dry dry.

Hi all,
I am using one of my horse stalls for my coop, it has raised wood floors. I turn the bedding every day, added DE on the the wood to start. Then started with 2 bags of shavings, that way I can add prn to keep dry without killing myself turning every day. I use a heavy-duty plastic stall fork for turning, makes it quick and easy to do. It is a 12 X 12 coop/stall.

Maye

We use pine shavings over a linoleum floor. If you have a wood floor it is best to cover it with linoleum or something that does not allow moisture to be absorbed. Adding DE is very helpful, in my estimation. If the Adonis smell gets too bad I rake off the top portion under the roosts and then add more shavings and a little DE. So far in six months I have had to do a major removal of shaving litter once. It should be able to go the whole winter without removing the majority of the litter. I do throw scratch in there every now and then when it looks like they are not turning up the litter anymore.

I do turn my bedding every day, I even put some scratch in the coop in the morning to encourage the ladies to help too.
I do put DE in every once in a while as good measure. I do have a wooden floor that is elevated about 3 ft off the ground.

It does have a slight odor kind of like earth with a hit of chicken. I am not sure if that is bad or not, it is not strong.

I just hope that I am doing the right thing with the DLM because my coop does not have an earth floor.

Quote:
Things can decompose on a wood surface, the same as they can on a soil surface. The breakdown of the carbonaceous materials only needs moisture, warmth, bacteria...all of these are present in deep bedding, no matter what surface they lie upon. My DL turns brown, breaks down into smaller particles, seems to "digest" the fecal matter...just like DL on a soil floor. I've had it in both situations and it processes exactly the same in both.

Things certainly "can" decompose on a wood surface. Just not too sure they *should*. My pine shavings are basically in the same condition now as they were, say, six months ago...broken down into smaller particles by being walked upon and raked and scratched, but without moisture, it doesn't decompose.

Back
Top Bottom