Deep litter method & ventilation in desert climate

About the same climate here, northern NV high desert...5200 ft, same weather...maybe not too many days over 100. I have a pre-built 8 x 10 shed with double doors on one side. I have a screen door for the summer that I can add to one of the shed doors and I would like to put one of the whirling ventilation stacks on the roof some day. My shed is under a shade tree so the roof stays a little cooler in the summer. Keeping the door open with the screen on the hottest days really helps.

I think you have plenty of ventilation. However, I think that you will find your coop to be very dusty. I have poop boards under the roosts. I line the boards with empty paper feed bags and remove them to dump the poop in the compost every 10 days or so, especially in the winter. Although it's perfectly fine in the summer, the ammonia really builds up in the winter when we have a bit of wet weather, be it rain or snow. I tried deep litter but found it a bit too dusty to consider being healthy for me or the birds during the dry seasons. I still have a deep layer of straw on a dirt floor. But taking the poop out of the shed regularly has made all the difference for me if I have to breathe in there! And I change out the straw only once per year...each Spring.

I've also found that providing plenty of shade in the summer helps the birds thrive. And I put blue ice packs in their water reservoirs that fill the PVC pipes to nipple drinkers to keep their water cools helps. Last year I picked up a freebie plastic wading pool on craigslist and they enjoyed playing in it a bit. I put a couple of cinder blocks in their for them to jump on. It got a bit icky with poop but I tried to re-fill it daily, evaporation and splashing made it almost empty anyway. When I score large amounts of castoff fruits or veggies I sometimes freeze them durng the summer so they can have a cool treat. Frozen yogurt cups work well too.

This is good information, as well: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION
smile.png

If you do some searches for hot weather or open air coops, you will find that many in hot (dry or humid) climates have coops with screen walls ... at least on one side. If you are still following this thread and need some help finding them I can help track them down. Also, you can come over to the Arizona thread and look at the posters BYC pages to see what other desert dwellers are doing.

As for your 6 window....they are screen windown, not glass...right?

Back
Top Bottom