deep litter method

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stargazingmommy, Nov 8, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    I think I'm in love with deep litter.
    I never once have had any odor from the coop, and I've been so paranoid about that.
    Now that it's been a few months there's a nice layer of bedding, and its warm.
    Hubby threw straw on top of it all earlier this week.
    AND come spring I'll have a very nice addition to the compost bin.

really though, I can't believe how warm it was inside yesterday when it was only 24 degrees outside. I only have 2 chickens, and only 1 lays. The eggs on these cold mornings haven't frozen, even after several hours, unlike the duck laying outside, her's froze fast.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yeah, I use a deep litter of pine shavings and I can't believe how warm it is inside the coop.

And odor-free, too! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    We LOVE it.

I am just above you, in Canada![​IMG]

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    lol i haven't cleaned mine out yet bout 3 months and i also have 2 chickens and only 1 laying. lol it is a small world.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Started in June with a fresh box of shavings and DE every week I sprinkle some. I just cleaned out the brooder and the coop and built up my rose and flower beds again this year and just put in another 4" layer and will pick at it all winter and stir it and in the spring I will clean it out again.
    [​IMG]

6. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    What is the depth of a deep litter method? We didnt plan when we built our coop, we followed pictures here on BYC. So we have about 6" depth before bedding would be coming out the coop door and front door- is 6" deep enough?

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    What is the depth of a deep litter method? We didnt plan when we built our coop, we followed pictures here on BYC. So we have about 6" depth before bedding would be coming out the coop door and front door- is 6" deep enough?

I start with 3 to 4" and spread down DE. Pickup the poop for 2 to 4 weeks every day and fluff and stir the wood chip up daily to knock poop I missed to the bottom and throw down another 1" of wood chips and more DE. I just did it in preparation for Winter from the brooder and the coop . All the old went into the run or the flower beds and new goes down in the sleeper beds and the coop and I will start over in the Spring and dump it into the compost or the run or where I need it. I must have dumped about 15 to 18 cubic feet of old wood shavings into the beds it will keep the roots warm all winter and great fertilizer [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  8. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I start with 3 to 4" and spread down DE. Pickup the poop for 2 to 4 weeks every day and fluff and stir the wood chip up daily to knock poop I missed to the bottom and throw down another 1" of wood chips and more DE. I just did it in preparation for Winter from the brooder and the coop . All the old went into the run or the flower beds and new goes down in the sleeper beds and the coop and I will start over in the Spring and dump it into the compost or the run or where I need it. I must have dumped about 15 to 18 cubic feet of old wood shavings into the beds it will keep the roots warm all winter and great fertilizer [​IMG]

okay so with a 6" depth I should be okay. Thanks

9. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    What is DE?

10. chickiechik

chickiechik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    Diatomaceous Earth is a fine powder that keeps most bugs and parasites out of the coops, and the smell down. You must get the food grade DE. They sell a DE for pools but DO NOT USE it will kill your birds. It does work good and people even use it for themselves. There are alot of different opinions on the board here, but you have to try for yourself to see if it works for your situation and area. I live in Florida, and with the high humidity, I find that I have alot less smell which cuts down the flies. I add it to the food as well, so when they poop [​IMG] the flies are not attracted to it. The powdre is like tiny razor blades glass shards and cuts up the inside of the bugs. I use it with good results, but this is just my take on it. Hope this helps [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by