Deep litter method

Folks try to scare newbies to chickens with that medicated feed claptrap but I've never used it for chicks in the past almost 40 yrs now with chickens.  In all that time I've had one chick with coccidiosis....arrived from the feed store in that condition and was put down as soon as it was discovered.  No other chicks contracted it. 

Intestinal health is key and using an antibiotic on young animals is usually not the way to get it.  And, yes, no matter how they slice it Amprollium, by the way it works, is most definitely defined as a type of antibiotic.  That's why the feed is called "medicated"....

Whatever you feed as a chick starter is not going to insure you have sick or well birds by the time they are large enough to take to a 4-H/fair this summer, so feel free to make a more informed choice than the one being pushed on you by the 4-H leader.  Read up on it, make your own decision~decisions made from fear are usually not rational ones~and do what you do. 

Fermenting your feed will help your chicks recover their intestinal health after it's been affected by the antibiotic usage anyway, so either way you go, if you ferment their feed from day one it will help them become a healthier bird.  As will cultivated deep litter. 

A good way to inoculate them against the coccidia that may be in your soils is to give them a hunk of sod~with grass intact~in their brooder, where they can ingest the grit and soils, consume some grasses if they want, and even play on the new "jungle gym".  A combination of the DL, the FF and the exposure to the soils on which they will be living will help get them on the right track.  Any chicks that sicken and die in the brooder stage would not have been healthy birds anyway and it's just a natural culling system.  Those that thrive and survive are more likely to thrive during their lifetime and be healthy specimens to take to the show. 

That makes sense. I'm still reading and researching. I will definitely speak to the vet as well. He's a no nonsense kind of guy. He pushes the rabies vaccine because its required by law for dogs and ferrets and recommends parvo because its common here. (I lost a puppy to parvo even after it was vaccinated). If an animal is very sick he usually recommends putting them down. He will treat anyway if that's what you want. I trust him to give me an opinion based on experience. Ultimately, I will do my best to make an educated decision.

I never use medicated feed. It's like giving someone cough syrup because they might get a cold. We have lost chickens to predators, but only one to disease and that was vent gleet

I understand the point about not medicating. I may end up going that way. I'm trying to educate myself before I decide for sure.

I love the idea of a heating pad cave. Unfortunately our coop will be too far from the house to run electric to it. We are toying with the idea of something solar if we need it later. I think this 1st time they'll have to be in a big tote inside to start out.

The whole 4-H thing was my dad's idea (I do agree that 4-H is great for kids I was in from 3rd - 12th grade myself) however, I am not working and after my dad got my son talked into showing animals he did not approve of the amimal chosen. My feeling is that 4-H animals are a lot of work so the kid needs to really be interested and excited. When he chose chickens I immediately said "I've got to learn about chickens!" I guess I thought that since I'm not working and my dad pushed for a livestock project that he would be on board to help financially. I was told today that "He doesn't like chickens and isn't going to be involved. At.all." Now we are trying to figure out how to pull this whole thing off. I already had feelers out on FB looking for pallets,windows &left over building supplies to help with the cost but so far no offers. Anyone have thoughts on how to do this? My lil boy's dad actually walked away from his job and isn't paying child support either. My husband works hard and will do what he can but things are tight. I'm already very frugal. Make my own laundry detergent and all that.

If not chickens, rabbits are a good project and don't require much space or start up money. My boys did rabbits for 4-H and loved it...we all did.

For coop materials, ask for pallets at local businesses that use them frequently, as any damage to the pallet means they can't use them safely. Feed stores, newspapers, grocery stores, hardware stores, etc. all use pallets to move, ship and receive their goods. There are many places online that describe how to make some really cute pallet coops.

You can even make a decent sized coop using cattle panels and a minimal amount of lumber....I made one big enough for 20 birds for $201.00 and built it myself, so this can be done cheaply.

I'd put the word out at your 4-H that you are looking for building materials and ask at local lumber yards and sawmills, stating what you need it for~they often have seconds lumber that you can get for a steal...you'd be surprised at how many people who are out there~and not ever on FB~who will contribute towards this project. I used to buy whole bundles of seconds lumber to use as firewood for $25 and these bundles would take two trips with a 6 ft. truck bed to haul home. A couple of bundles is more then enough to build a decent coop.

Scrounge and build fast as you will want the birds to be the right age for the show. You can get power to your coop the old fashioned way...string extension cords from the house. I've done that for years now and my current coop is about 75 yds from the house...I just string the wires through the trees, secure them one to another and at either end but allow enough slack for movement of the trees.

Back
Top Bottom