Deep litter method

Dang Linda... how many more times are you going to post this?
hide.gif
lau.gif
This makes 5 or 6....
I am so sorry!!!!!! My computer doesn't show that it's posting anything. I won't try more than one time. I know that you LOVE my posts but this is a little much. lol

Wow... OK, each LF chicken needs approximately 3-4 square feet of space in the coop to avoid stress, fighting, disease, etc. So, doing the math, for 150 chickens, you'd need a minimum of 450 square feet of coop floor space. That's a coop about 15 feet by 30 feet.  For 200 you're looking at 600 square feet or a 20' x 30' bldg. And those are really minimums...  I imagine if you are extremely dedicated you could build it on the cheap from scrap lumber, but you'll still need decent roofing (expensive), and the coop should be relatively draft free since you live in Ohio, and the winters can get pretty danged cold there. Then there's the food bill... I have ~36 birds and go through a 5 gallon bucket of fermented feed every 2 days... near 2 $150.00 a month.  Not to be rude, but if you really are tight on finances, that large goal seems a bit of a stretch in the near term.

You can check on Craigs List and see if anyone has an old shed they are wanting to get rid of. All you need to do is get it to your place and repair/re-purpose it. You could also check for coops on CL as well. It there are any new subdivisions being built in your area, you could go talk to the people at the building site about getting scrap from them as they pretty much factor in 5-10% for waste. You can get a lot of stuff at building sites... But likely NOT windows or doors :barnie    You just need to think outside the box a bit and keep your eyes and mind open to possibilities.

Omigosh! I'm so sorry! The one time I dont preview before posting! I can't imagine having that many chickens! This phone sometimes has a mind of its own. I'm cracking up right now. You must think for some one wanting to go cheap trying to pull this together for 4-H that my eyes are clearly bigger than my budget! What I tried to say was 15-20 chickens. Even worse it looks like I want 150 chickens that are each 200lbs! Whoa! I promise I'm not insane. Not legally anyway.

Again, I'm so sorry for putting you through the math and making you think I'm crazy.

You've got some mighty big goals for your breeding plans..... :th :gig Them's some mighty big shickens!!! Here's a pic of the original coop that I built for that money....this spring I added another hoop and used scrap lumber~read scrounged for FREE~to enclose the end caps, so I'll show you both pics...the then and now. The back view with the nest boxes open.... Enclosed the ends and added an extra hoop for more room, then used a clear tarp for winter time. Changed the nest boxes to the front and put all the roosting in the back with this change. The first coop was 8x10 and this one is now 12x10. Also built a dog house on the back of it with free pallets. The nest boxes are still outside access..... It ain't the purdiest coop out there but it didn't cost much either and it is snug and cozy, light and airy, and the birds love it...and so do I! Used tree limbs, saplings and stumps for roosting and steps up to roosts and nest boxes. The light fixture was a cheap ol' ceramic one wired with a cord I took off an old heat/brooder lamp. The hardware used for the windows and doors were old hinges we had collected over the years from old cabinets and doors, and the door knob for the door was even an old antique glass door knob set I had been carrying around for almost 20 yrs. All in all, it was a pretty cheap coop tweak...I think the most money was spent on screws. Some of the scrap lumber used....just old packing crates that had been dismantled and stored in an old fella's garage for about 50 yrs and his widow gave them to us and we didn't even have to ask...she thought we could use them for firewood. I know it all looks a little cobbled together, but that's what I like about it....I did it by myself, I did it for very little money and a lot of the materials were free and my chickens love it! I sit up there and watch them this winter, snug and warm in this light filled coop, with excellent airflow and many ways to increase ventilation and I'm quite tickled with it all.
You have no idea how hard I'm laughing right now! 150, 200lb chickens! Seriously, my ribs are sore! I meant 15-20 chickens. Lmbo! I love your coop:) I'm gonna see what materials I can scrounge up in the next couple weeks and then work out a design. I really am not that far gone mentally. I do get big ideas sometimes but not THAT big. Everyone prolly thinks I'm a nut case!

Omigosh! I'm so sorry! The one time I dont preview before posting! I can't imagine having that many chickens! This phone sometimes has a mind of its own. I'm cracking up right now. You must think for some one wanting to go cheap trying to pull this together for 4-H that my eyes are clearly bigger than my budget! What I tried to say was 15-20 chickens. Even worse it looks like I want 150 chickens that are each 200lbs! Whoa! I promise I'm not insane. Not legally anyway.

Again, I'm so sorry for putting you through the math and making you think I'm crazy.

Wow again... I saw the 150 to 200 and never even saw/noticed the "pounds!"
lau.gif
gig.gif
lol.png
woot.gif
I have tears streaming right now. For 20 chickens, an 8 x 10 shed will do the trick nicely. still laughing... Thanks, I really needed that!

I've been trying deep litter since last fall. I might not be doing it right, however. When the temperature warms up above freezing the ammonia smell can get strong. I always add more pine shavings, but it seems like it's getting worse as the litter grows (currently up to about 10 inches). Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Rory

Wow again... I saw the 150 to 200 and never even saw/noticed the "pounds!" :lau :gig :lol: :woot I have tears streaming right now.  For 20 chickens, an 8 x 10 shed will do the trick nicely. still laughing... Thanks, I really needed that!

To be honest I needed it too. I'm still giggling over the thought. Lol im surprised no one ran to the mods wanting to know who let that crazy lady from ohio in! Goodness, lol that's the best laugh I've had in ages.

I've been trying deep litter since last fall. I might not be doing it right, however. When the temperature warms up above freezing the ammonia smell can get strong. I always add more pine shavings, but it seems like it's getting worse as the litter grows (currently up to about 10 inches). Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Rory

Hey there Thegrovestead!
welcome-byc.gif
and the thread!

10" is not much at all relatively speaking... How many square feet of coop floor are we talking about here, and how many chickens in that space, and for what portion of the day? 24/7? What have you got for ventilation? Is the coop floor wood/raised or dirt? My DL right now is almost 2 feet deep and has been building since June/July. I'm about to add another 3-4 inches to it with the warmer weather we've been having. Mine is a wood floor, raised 18-24 inches above ground and the chickens are in there 24/7. Another issue is mixing; you need to mix the new chips in some so they can absorb some moisture.

Back
Top Bottom