Deep litter method

How many do you havr all together now? I'm getting ready to order the first 8 of ours for feb 23 hatch. I'm gonna make the trip and pick them up at the hatchery. The shipping thing worries me while its cold out. The other 2 we are buying from a breeder and will get them as pullets 1/2 grown. Im really getting excited! We pick up the coop tomorrow and my dad finally agreed to do the repairs and improvements on it to help us out.I still have to build the run.
we have 52 now, got new camper to replace old one notice mild in it so it is trash, DH been out there since Fri working on it, i hope i can get out there tomorrow and fix the floor with pine chips then on wed or Thur we will move all chickens together in this new coop so we can pull the other one out, have to pull inside run apart to get to hitch to pull camper out of yard. that means taken part of the fence down to pull it out and put new in

How many do you havr all together now? I'm getting ready to order the first 8 of ours for feb 23 hatch. I'm gonna make the trip and pick them up at the hatchery. The shipping thing worries me while its cold out. The other 2 we are buying from a breeder and will get them as pullets 1/2 grown. Im really getting excited! We pick up the coop tomorrow and my dad finally agreed to do the repairs and improvements on it to help us out.I still have to build the run.
i had good luck with the postal part, but not the hatchery i will not do that again, i may just stay with this breeder.

we have 52 now, got new camper to replace old one notice mild in it so it is trash, DH been out there since Fri working on it, i hope i can get out there tomorrow and fix the floor with pine chips then on wed or Thur we will move all chickens together in this new coop so we can pull the other one out,  have to pull inside run apart to get to hitch to pull camper out of yard. that means taken part of the fence down to pull it out and put new in

i had good luck with the postal part, but not the hatchery i will not do that again, i may just stay with this breeder.

Setting up the new coop sounds like an ordeal but I would imagine having them all together should simplify things somewhat. Hopefully the switch goes smoothly for ya!

I've talked to couple more "chicken people" in our 4-H community who have recommended a hatchery that turns out blue ribbon champion birds every year. It isn't the one I had planned to use but people here gush over them like crazy. I guess for this year we are getting all our birds from them as we learn the ropes. Next year may be a different story. Tbh, (and my son feels the same way) this year we aren't planning on big trophies. It's more of a learn and get comfortable and have fun year. He doesn't care so much about winning. He just likes chickens lol. Isn't that how 4-H should be for the kids? Learn as much as you can, have fun, and do your best. The trophies will come in due time:) We have decided to definitely make the drive to pick our babies up so they have the best possible survival rate. Its only a couple hours from us. Once I get them ordered I will let everyone know which breeds we have chosen and of course post some pics when they come home.

Setting up the new coop sounds like an ordeal but I would imagine having them all together should simplify things somewhat. Hopefully the switch goes smoothly for ya!

I've talked to couple more "chicken people" in our 4-H community who have recommended a hatchery that turns out blue ribbon champion birds every year. It isn't the one I had planned to use but people here gush over them like crazy. I guess for this year we are getting all our birds from them as we learn the ropes. Next year may be a different story. Tbh, (and my son feels the same way) this year we aren't planning on big trophies. It's more of a learn and get comfortable and have fun year. He doesn't care so much about winning. He just likes chickens lol. Isn't that how 4-H should be for the kids? Learn as much as you can, have fun, and do your best. The trophies will come in due time:) We have decided to definitely make the drive to pick our babies up so they have the best possible survival rate. Its only a couple hours from us. Once I get them ordered I will let everyone know which breeds we have chosen and of course post some pics when they come home.
we will still have two coops just have to put the ones we have together to pull old camper out and put new in then we will get the yard split in half and get the blue hens, what hatchery are you thinking about getting them from, we do not want to mix the delaware blue with our rir's plus we had 2 roos in cage before and they did lot of fighting so we will keep the rir roo and the blue hen apart.

we will still have two coops just have to put the ones we have together to pull old camper out and put new in then we will get the yard split in half and get the blue hens, what hatchery are you thinking about getting them from,  we do not want to mix the delaware blue with our rir's plus we had 2 roos in cage before and they did  lot of fighting so we will keep the rir roo and the blue hen apart.

Oh! Now I understand lol. That makes sense. I honestly don't think I'd get rid of a coop either. If you get a new one it makes room for MORE CHICKIES! (Evil laugh) Separating kids that can't play nice is always a great idea too.

I took the plunge and ordered ours today. I ordered from Eagle Nest Poultry in Oceola, Ohio. Once I see how our chicks do, I will try to write a review of our experience with them.I ordered 3 Buff Orpington pullets(only needed 2), 3 Rhode Island Red pullets (needed 2), 5 Partridge Wyandotte bantam straight run (need 1 good pullet & 1 good cockerel), and 2 generic Easter Egger pullets. BuffS & RIR's will be shown as pullets and a pair of Pw's will be for the fancy class and showmanship. The Easter Eggers are only because my boy really, really wanted blue eggs. Yes, he's spoiled. Its what happens when there are 9 years between the last 2 kids.

This hatchery was way less expensive than others I'd looked at. Every chick I ordered was only $2. Other places were $3.50 & up. Hoping with ordering a few extra that we have a good survival rate and that they grow equally as the birds need to match in size and appearance for show. We pick them up Thurs the 18th. That gives us time to replace 1 or 2 if something bad happens. Fingers Crossed we won't have to.

Pretty sure I've lost my mind. Seriously. BAT CRAP CRAZY!

Those of you who have kids, I'm sure know what nesting is. Always knew labor was imminent when I got the uncontrollable compulsion to clean. Everything I'd neglected HAD to be done immediately.

Well, I just realized that's what I've been doing today. The carpet on our stairs was pretty bad. Not to mention the crap I stacked at tge sides of the steps that needed to go upstairs but never made it. The carpet cleaner has been sitting at the bottom of the stairs for a month. I'm pretty ashamed of myself. Ordered the babies yesterday. Suddenly, today it occurred to me that there are friends who are gonna wanna see the fuzzies. Plus, I'll be busy taking care of them and watching them.

Folks, my stairs are Clean! Really! And my son's carpet is next. Even touched up the living room carpet. Prolly mop after everyone else is in bed. My youngest was hatched 11 yrs ago. Thought my days of "nesting" were over! Anyone else have this reaction to new chickies?

Pretty sure I've lost my mind. Seriously. BAT CRAP CRAZY!

Those of you who have kids, I'm sure know what nesting is. Always knew labor was imminent when I got the uncontrollable compulsion to clean. Everything I'd neglected HAD to be done immediately.

Well, I just realized that's what I've been doing today. The carpet on our stairs was pretty bad. Not to mention the crap I stacked at tge sides of the steps that needed to go upstairs but never made it. The carpet cleaner has been sitting at the bottom of the stairs for a month. I'm pretty ashamed of myself. Ordered the babies yesterday. Suddenly, today it occurred to me that there are friends who are gonna wanna see the fuzzies. Plus, I'll be busy taking care of them and watching them.

Folks, my stairs are Clean! Really! And my son's carpet is next. Even touched up the living room carpet. Prolly mop after everyone else is in bed. My youngest was hatched 11 yrs ago. Thought my days of "nesting" were over! Anyone else have this reaction to new chickies?
Um, nope.
lau.gif

I know all about loving a spotless house. You can eat off the floor at mine! Yep, there's some balogna under the fridge, an orange segment next to the dishwasher, chips and popcorn in the couch cushions, and maybe even half an apple under the bed.

Back
Top Bottom