Deep litter method

Pics
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Just a quick reminder! FOOD GRADE DE ONLY! The kind from the pool suppliers id treated and not safe for chicken consumption. I have used this method for the last two years and boy it is the way to go! No bugs, mites or other creepy crawlies either. I order FOOD GRADE from my feed store. Placing water dishes on a block is a good way to keep shavings out. Hanging feeder works well. I have also placed the water dish inside a larger container to keep shaving in the water to a minimum. My coop is 15 by 8 and I used three full bags, and add as needed. Just a great way to do it. No smell! I cant recall which BYC member told me about it, but Thank you!

Quote:
Yep. Your space is too small for 4 hens and they may have to spend time in there on rainy/snowy days....the deep litter will give them something to do, will help keep them warm, and will save you the daily clean up of four birds in a small space during the winter months.

While the coop is small, it does meet the 3-4 sq feet per chicken most on this site recommend. I wouldn't say "too" small. More like "Quite Cozy."

Quote:
I guess our coop fits into this 'cozy' coop category as well.. since it's about the same size but excludes the nest boxes which will be mounted on the outside of the coop making it a bit larger (IMHO).. Ours however has some half-decent vertical height to it -- ~3-4ft..

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep. Your space is too small for 4 hens and they may have to spend time in there on rainy/snowy days....the deep litter will give them something to do, will help keep them warm, and will save you the daily clean up of four birds in a small space during the winter months.

While the coop is small, it does meet the 3-4 sq feet per chicken most on this site recommend. I wouldn't say "too" small. More like "Quite Cozy."

The nest boxes will be outside as well for my coop. As well as the headroom is about 3-4 feet. One of my four hens is a bantam cochin, so I am not worried about space. Too bad for them. It's all the space I have and can afford!!
tongue.png

I apologize for not being more clear, it was three bags of shavings, for the year and about 20 pounds of DE. Sorry if I caused confusion, that was not my intent. I could have gotten away with changing less often as this is a great way to keep it clean without a lot of fuss.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom