Deep litter method

:frowHello Everyone!!! I have a couple of questions regarding deep litter... (You can view my coop/run in my profile picture) Where we used to live, we did not have much rain at all during the year. Things were very dry, and we were able to very easily use the dirt ground in the run and rake it every week or so to keep it clean and the flies to a minimum.... Where we live now it rains much more frequently, and pretty considerably each time. This is causing a very muddy mucky "run". Last time it got bad, I used the leaves from the yard and layed them over...the girls loved to play in these and they worked very well for several weeks...until another rain. Now it is muddy again and the warming weather is bringing the flies and mosquitos! We were considering putting sod down in there, but after reading about DL here.... I guess what I am trying to get at is: Do y'all think it would be a better idea to do the deep litter in the run, rather than sod? Should I add more leaves/grass clippings/wood chip(arborist) etc. after a rain? I plan to continue using the PDZ/pine flake inside the coop, would DL be a good substrate here as well? Any and all advice, suggestions, and yes even OPINIONS:lol: are welcome
Thank you in advance!!:fl
I do deep litter in my coop for the winter and now that things are thawing out water will sit at the door as its a lower spot. I keep the rest of the coop built up and it works well and doesn't stay damp. I make sure I add a layer of bedding every week. I alternate between straw and shavings. The straw gives the substrate "structure" and the shavings absorb excess moisture. Works well.

I'd do a layer of wood chips/mulch 1st. Then DLM - leaves, pine straw, shredded paper/card board/junkmail w/ plastic window removed, hay, straw. Veggie/fruit scraps will encourage them to spread it out & incorporate it all.

The main thing is different sizes of materials to allow both air & water to move through.

Really?? Junk mail?! So essentially the same guidelines as composting? That would be amazing as we have a good size garden going on the opposite end of the yard, and were planning on building a compost area anyhow...

Really?? Junk mail?! So essentially the same guidelines as composting? That would be amazing as we have a good size garden going on the opposite end of the yard, and were planning on building a compost area anyhow...
It's exactly like composting. It is cool composting rather than hot composting. It won't really build heat and it takes longer but same result. Also, you don't add any green materials because the chicken poop is your green. You can toss in kitchen scraps that would be greens but likely the birds will eat them so then it's just poop. You can turn it or not, a lot of people toss scratch on top to make the hens turn the top layer.

Reading through these 200+ pages, trying to figure out some ideas for my run...my chickens free range each day and have a coop and large run. I'm reworking a nice coop/run that was left on my property...currently there is a mud/water issue in the run...we are putting a roof on the coop to help minimize water going straight down into the coop and believe that will help dramatically...but in regards to doing the deep litter method in the run...am I correct in understanding that i could start with large non-dyed mulch chips and go from there over time and add leaves etc from the yard? Or is there another layer I should be doing underneath that or mixed in?

Reading through these 200+ pages, trying to figure out some ideas for my run...my chickens free range each day and have a coop and large run. I'm reworking a nice coop/run that was left on my property...currently there is a mud/water issue in the run...we are putting a roof on the coop to help minimize water going straight down into the coop and believe that will help dramatically...but in regards to doing the deep litter method in the run...am I correct in understanding that i could start with large non-dyed mulch chips and go from there over time and add leaves etc from the yard? Or is there another layer I should be doing underneath that or mixed in?
Fix the water problem, from overhead(with the roof) and also anything that may be flowing in from the surrounding area. Also look at how any water that does get in the run can drain out somehow.

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

full

full

Back
Top Bottom