Deep litter method

Pics
That would be great, thanks. Are your roosters separate from your hens?
I am not sure what you mean by you wouldn't need it doing deep method, maybe you
can help me understand it better the deep method, they are still going to poop all over
When they roost at night, is yours on a wood floor or dirt. ?
you put the deep litter UNDER their roost and every other day or two you just turn it over and it seems to just disappear in the litter. Doesn't stink or anything. I added a nice huge pile under mines roost and had to add some more to it the other day since it's been awhile for that being there. IF you live where it snows ya might want to bag you up a few bags and poke a few holes in your trash bag to keep it from molding and that way you will have it on hand when you have snow on the ground once you get the deep litter in place that is. You'll have the bagged up ones for later on.

That would be great, thanks. Are your roosters separate from your hens?
I am not sure what you mean by you wouldn't need it doing deep method, maybe you
can help me understand it better the deep method, they are still going to poop all over
When they roost at night, is yours on a wood floor or dirt. ?
Most of them are, yes. I have one rooster in with my hens. I try to alternate them so they get time in the big pen. My roosters live in 4x4 pens with "yards" that are about 5'x6'. Like RoseMarie said, with the deep litter, all their droppings go into the litter instead of on a poop board. I haven't taken them down, not sure if I will, they function as a step up to the roost as well. Their cages are only 4 feet tall because I didn't have the money to buy more wire at the time that I built them.

In my hen pen, the floor is dirt. The same in my rooster pens, only they have the poop boards underneath their short perches.

Ok now will you explain to me WHAT a cap is? Does that mean a hard surface?

Good Afternoon
My litter gets packed to a degree, not hard but enough that I pitchfork fluff it once a week and more often under the roost where the liter may be heavier
I will be removing half of it in November and replacing and mixing with fresh. I foo this at 6 month intervals
[/IMG]

Last edited:
A cap is when litter clumps into a solid mass that holds moisture underneath that will cause mold growth in the litter. This is referred to a "cap" as it doesn't let the litter breath and holds moisture underneath...perfect conditions for mold that turns slimy. Not good. Some mold is inevitable in deep litter because molds are a part of composting, but concentrated clumps of it can emit great numbers of spores, which are then breathed in by the chickens. That can result in respiratory issues.

Keeping litter mobile and loose on top and middle levels and the moisture of composting in the very bottom layers will keep molds where they can work, but without affecting the birds. Also, good ventilation keeps mold spores blown out of the coop atmosphere...so keep that air flowing and not stale.

I've done it on a wood floor but it was ancient, oak plank flooring that nothing could possibly hurt and it had gaps between the planks that allowed for more airflow, so things didn't stay as moist as if someone was doing it on linoleum. But, it can be accomplished on any surface...just like folks composting in a barrel instead of a compost bin on the ground. It just needs managed a little more when not done on a soil floor.

I just cleaned out one of my DLM coops...it got too wet for my liking during the horrible days and days of rain that ended Sunday, and I realized it just wasn't gonna dry.

Smell...NONE.

Ease....very much. Used a bow rake to pull it out and scooped it with a manure fork. Lovely light compost I put right out into the garden.

This coop has a plain wooden floor. It is not a pretty coop, which is why I hope to replace it soon....but it does the job.

Back
Top Bottom