Deep litter method

Pics
So, I'm sure this was covered in earlier posts, but with so many pages it's hard to find what I'm looking for. Somebody was taking about using wood ash for our girls. I have a wood stove I use daily this time of year. Is this what you are talking about? And, how do I use it? I'm doing what i call a "modified" deep liter method. Modified because I'm only allowing the litter to build up to my comfort level. Sort of a play it by ear if you will. Do I spread it in the coop or just the run? And other than mite control what are the benefits?

So, I'm sure this was covered in earlier posts, but with so many pages it's hard to find what I'm looking for. Somebody was taking about using wood ash for our girls. I have a wood stove I use daily this time of year. Is this what you are talking about? And, how do I use it? I'm doing what i call a "modified" deep liter method. Modified because I'm only allowing the litter to build up to my comfort level. Sort of a play it by ear if you will. Do I spread it in the coop or just the run? And other than mite control what are the benefits?
I just replied to your question on the other thread :)

I just replied to your question on the other thread :)

can you repost it here?

Yup wood ash from the wood stove is what I use. I just pour cool ashes in a litter box and place it in their coop.
I mainly use it for mite removal prevention. But it must taste ok since I occasionally see one of the hens eat some.

I screen the ash if I have been using pallets to get the nails & staples out first.

It also helps with the DL since its like compost.

Back
Top Bottom