Deep litter method

Hey all
smile.png

I have a hen scheduled to hatch this coming weekend who's currently laying in a nesting box. I want to move her and the chicks to come to a different location after the hatch.
They will be separated from the rest of the flock by chicken wire but my concern is that they will be on deep litter. The litter is dry, deep and fluffy.
Will having her raise them in this location be a concern at any level?

Thank you.

Hey all
smile.png

I have a hen scheduled to hatch this coming weekend who's currently laying in a nesting box. I want to move her and the chicks to come to a different location after the hatch.
They will be separated from the rest of the flock by chicken wire but my concern is that they will be on deep litter. The litter is dry, deep and fluffy.

Thank you.

It will actually increase their immune system health and keep their brooding area cleaner....to me that's optimal for new chicks. When I brood mine I do it directly in the deep litter of my adult bird coop, they are exposed to all the coop's germs from the beginning so they can form immunities right away.

This is one reason broody raised chicks are more hardy than those brooded by us indoors and away from environmental pathogens.

It will actually increase their immune system health and keep their brooding area cleaner....to me that's optimal for new chicks. When I brood mine I do it directly in the deep litter of my adult bird coop, they are exposed to all the coop's germs from the beginning so they can form immunities right away.

This is one reason broody raised chicks are more hardy than those brooded by us indoors and away from environmental pathogens.
Very good info, thank you. I thought it would be beneficial but wasn't sure due to the young chicks. Thank you again!!!
big_smile.png

Hey all
smile.png

Thank you.
Hello goodb!

I've had broody hens raise foster chicks in a deep litter coop with no problems at all. If you want, you could always add fresh litter to the area where your hen and chicks will be. No need to take out any of the old. Simply add a bit of new on top.

It's so interesting to me how things work. I have breeder fish and they have done studies on when baby fish are kept in new clean water the mortality rate is much higher than the babies raised in the water used by the adults. Same thing with chicks too. Cleaner isn't always better. Management it seems is the key not perfection.

Hello goodb!

I've had broody hens raise foster chicks in a deep litter coop with no problems at all. If you want, you could always add fresh litter to the area where your hen and chicks will be. No need to take out any of the old. Simply add a bit of new on top.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for this reply. You and another have verified what I thought. Again, thank you.

We will set up our coop this weekend and will use it in a few weeks as the chicks grow older. I'm reading up on this deep litter method. Does it apply to the run as well? Right now the area we have planned to use is covered in ivy type plants. I don't know if we should dig those up, put in sand or rocks as I've seen others do. Or should I leave the Ivy and throw straw and whatever on it periodically? Didn't know if they'd like picking thru the ivy for bugs every day or if straw should be down.

On this deep littering, I understand sort of how to do it in the house part of the coop but in the run it seems to me it might get more moisture than it should. What should I do there?

Please forgive my newbie questions. Just want to get it right the first time.

Oh, and to start this deep little thing do I just go buy a block of hay/straw (which is better) or pine shavings or what?

Last edited:
We will set up our coop this weekend and will use it in a few weeks as the chicks grow older. I'm reading up on this deep litter method. Does it apply to the run as well? Right now the area we have planned to use is covered in ivy type plants. I don't know if we should dig those up, put in sand or rocks as I've seen others do. Or should I leave the Ivy and throw straw and whatever on it periodically? Didn't know if they'd like picking thru the ivy for bugs every day or if straw should be down.

On this deep littering, I understand sort of how to do it in the house part of the coop but in the run it seems to me it might get more moisture than it should. What should I do there?

Oh, and to start this deep little thing do I just go buy a block of hay/straw (which is better) or pine shavings or what?

Definitely pine shavings. I buy the bag that they use in horse stalls. From the feed store. Good luck
thumbsup.gif

For the inside a mixture of mostly pine shavings with some straw is good. You can leave the ivy that will be great for them. If anything is growing leave it. If they kill it then use the deep litter over that part of dirt. You want a forest floor feel outside the coop in the run. Mulch, and leaves and wood shavings is good. If you prune anything (non-poisonous) use the clippings in the run too. Grass clippings are great too for run and coop. Make sure there is no pesticides on anything you put in the coop or run.

Back
Top Bottom