Deep litter method

I'm certainly no expert on DLM, and I completely defer to Bee on this, but it occurs to me that this isn't an average "how do I deal with excess moisture" problem but rather an "I need temporary flood management measures" situation.

Rather than trying to find a long-term solution for what seems to be a short-term and exceptional problem, maybe a stopgap solution is the answer. Rather than risk throwing down more good (bedding) after bad, might it be better to toss all the coop bedding into the run, throw down a temporary floor of pallets and wait for the flood to pass. If this is truly an aberrant weather pattern, just make some temporary modifications to get the birds out of the wet and ride it out until it passes.

I'm certainly no expert on DLM, and I completely defer to Bee on this, but it occurs to me that this isn't an average "how do I deal with excess moisture" problem but rather an "I need temporary flood management measures" situation.

Rather than trying to find a long-term solution for what seems to be a short-term and exceptional problem, maybe a stopgap solution is the answer. Rather than risk throwing down more good (bedding) after bad, might it be better to toss all the coop bedding into the run, throw down a temporary floor of pallets and wait for the flood to pass. If this is truly an aberrant weather pattern, just make some temporary modifications to get the birds out of the wet and ride it out until it passes.
sounds like the best idea I've seen, and when the flood is gone and the yard dries out, work on raising the whole thing up 15 to 18 inches. Some landscape timbers or blocks and fill it in like a raised garden bed

This is exactly the strategy I've adopted since discovering that there is no place on my property that isn't saturated in the spring. I put down pallets (lucky enough to score some of the solid decked ones) in my roofed run with bedding over the top. Kept them in for a month while the soggy yard dried out. We had record snowfall this winter and when it melted there was no place for it to go in my low lying yard.

If the exception becomes the rule and I continue to have such wet ground in the spring then I plan on jacking everything up on railroad timbers to bring it above grade.

This is exactly the strategy I've adopted since discovering that there is no place on my property that isn't saturated in the spring. I put down pallets (lucky enough to score some of the solid decked ones) in my roofed run with bedding over the top. Kept them in for a month while the soggy yard dried out. We had record snowfall this winter and when it melted there was no place for it to go in my low lying yard.

If the exception becomes the rule and I continue to have such wet ground in the spring then I plan on jacking everything up on railroad timbers to bring it above grade.
yeah that's exactly what I meant.

I found out AFTER I built my coop and run, that when we get three or four days of rain, that spot is the one spot in the yard where water stands. It didn't appear it would be, because it looked like it had adequate drainage. After wading to get to the coop for a couple of days, as soon as it dried out, the blade went on the tractor and the drainage was fixed.........hopefully. we haven't had any significant rain since. Probably because I planted the garden.
big_smile.png

On the plus side of that, I've figured out if I want to keep my vehicles clean, just plant something before I wash them..........

Pinkmartin73,

I am so sorry you are having all this flooding. I think Talkalittle and Papachaz have nailed it so to speak. Seems to me this calls for a quick fix with pallets to keep the girls dry if you get more rain.
Even if you did part of the coop where they could hang out and keep their feet dry until things clear up a bit.

Such thoughtful posts trying to offer great suggestions, love, love it.
wee.gif

Thanks all!
Things dried up a bit today. Still a lot of water in the yard but i don't have to wade to the coop now. Its receded enough to just be a soggy and muddy nuisance. This morning I figured out the reason the girls were digging so much in the coop was to dust bathe in the bedding since all the rain washed the sand and ashes from their normal spot. I built a slightly raised wooden box with old window screens in the bottom for drainage. Then went to town for 2 70lb bags of sand and some lime. Now less disturbing the wet bedding. I also put down a bit of lime and covered it with some fresh bedding. It was crazy hot today. That really helped with drying. Then I left for work.

We got another storm while I was at work and I hear thunder as I write this. I went straight to the coop after work. It looks good considering. Bedding reasonably dry. Everyone was clean and roosting.

The pallets sound like a great idea! I don't have a way to haul any at the moment:( But when I can, I will try to get 2 or 3 to keep ready. We are hoping to be able to move soon. Its hard in our school district to find a place to rent that allows dogs. Let alone dogs AND chickens lol. There isn't much available to buy either. We are actively looking. My parents have considered moving away and letting me take over their house. Its starting to sound good lol The other problem with a flooded yard is misquitoes and its getting old.

Been a long day. This girl is exhausted. Thanks again to all and take care.

Til tomorrow... Kristina

Pinkmartin73,

I am so sorry you are having all  this flooding.  I think Talkalittle and Papachaz have nailed it so to speak. Seems to me this calls  for a quick fix with pallets to keep the girls dry if you get more rain. 
Even if you did part of the coop where they could hang out and keep their feet dry until things clear up a bit. 

Such thoughtful posts trying to offer great suggestions, love, love it.:weee

This group truly has caring people and I'm proud and grateful to be a part of it.

Thanks all!
Things dried up a bit today. Still a lot of water in the yard but i don't have to wade to the coop now. Its receded enough to just be a soggy and muddy nuisance. This morning I figured out the reason the girls were digging so much in the coop was to dust bathe in the bedding since all the rain washed the sand and ashes from their normal spot. I built a slightly raised wooden box with old window screens in the bottom for drainage. Then went to town for 2 70lb bags of sand and some lime. Now less disturbing the wet bedding. I also put down a bit of lime and covered it with some fresh bedding. It was crazy hot today. That really helped with drying. Then I left for work.

We got another storm while I was at work and I hear thunder as I write this. I went straight to the coop after work. It looks good considering. Bedding reasonably dry. Everyone was clean and roosting.

The pallets sound like a great idea! I don't have a way to haul any at the moment:( But when I can, I will try to get 2 or 3 to keep ready. We are hoping to be able to move soon. Its hard in our school district to find a place to rent that allows dogs. Let alone dogs AND chickens lol. There isn't much available to buy either. We are actively looking. My parents have considered moving away and letting me take over their house. Its starting to sound good lol The other problem with a flooded yard is misquitoes and its getting old.

Been a long day. This girl is exhausted. Thanks again to all and take care.

Til tomorrow... Kristina
I wish I could send you some cuttings of my scented geraniums. They are supposed to repel mosquito's. We haven't had a problem with them here this summer. I don't know if it is the plant or not but I haven't seen any. You may want to try and pinch some cuttings from someone and see if it helps.

Wow, another storm? Send it our way......actually a miracle has happened and we are getting a little rain from a tropical storm that is passing thru. My lawn is sooo happy. We are on a tight water conservation program here and only allowed to water 2x a week. I have always loved grass and our lawn looks like a brown wasteland
hit.gif
dag-nabit.....

Marie

I wish I could send you some cuttings of my scented geraniums. They are supposed to repel mosquito's. We haven't had a problem with them here this summer. I don't know if it is the plant or not but I haven't seen any. You may want to try and pinch some cuttings from someone and see if it helps.

Wow, another storm? Send it our way......actually a miracle has happened and we are getting a little rain from a tropical storm that is passing thru. My lawn is sooo happy. We are on a tight water conservation program here and only allowed to water 2x a week. I have always loved grass and our lawn looks like a brown wasteland
hit.gif
dag-nabit.....

Marie
Marigolds are also supposed to help keep mosquitos away. As will a light spray of Listerine mouthwash.....

I'd see if I could find someone with truck or an SUV to haul a few pallets in. If you'll check craigslist, there's almost always someone who will give pallets away for free

Back
Top Bottom