Deep litter..What am I doing wrong?

Katt47

Chirping
Nov 1, 2017
So I decided I would try the deep litter method this year since I got a new coop and flock.
Well, It's not going that well. I have TSC pine shavings and they don't want to break down AT ALL! I've had them in there since April and I add Sweet PDZ to it for ammonia control. Well, that's not working either. I also turn it over a few times a week. What am I doing wrong?

I dont think your doing anything wrong. It won't really breakdown and disappear. If it doesn't smell I wouldn't worry. I don't even add the PDZ and mine works fine. I probably change it maybe every 10 months or so. I do push a muck rake around and stir it occasionally. I am in a very dry climate but it works better than anything I've tried.

I dont think your doing anything wrong. It won't really breakdown and disappear. If it doesn't smell I wouldn't worry. I don't even add the PDZ and mine works fine. I probably change it maybe every 10 months or so. I do push a muck rake around and stir it occasionally. I am in a very dry climate but it works better than anything I've tried.

That's the thing, it is starting to smell. Thats why I used the PDZ.
I'm in Maryland and it's been a really humid few months.

What else is in your deep litter other than pine shavings? Pine shavings alone is not deep litter and I personally try to use as little of it as possible as it does not break down well. In order for deep litter to work properly you need a mix of different matter: wood chunks, dried leaves, grass clippings, weed or garden trimmings, pine needles, etc.

Here's mine from earlier this year - mostly wood chips, dried leaves were all broken down, and I had just added grass clippings. We get a lot of rain (it had just rained heavily before I snapped the photo) but no smell and no drainage issues.

litter.jpg

I add to mine periodically. The chickens turn it everyday. I might rake over any poop when I'm in there but don't have any problems with odor. I'm probably going to clean it out soon for compost. It's been 4 months.

I throw the pine shavings from the coop in the compost heap, not the run. They take forever to break down.

Mine is dirt, pine needles, twigs, dried leaves, dead tree branches/sticks, etc. Basically everything from the woods behind our house. The chickens turn it into dirt within a week, and I add new stuff every other week or so.

First, get rid of the pine shavings or most of them anyway. They wont break down very well, but you know that already.
Go get some untreated mulch, tree trimming mulch or pine bark nuggets. Add dried leaves, pine straw, yard and garden waste, untreated grass clippings, small and bigger tree branch pieces, some regular straw. You want a good mixture of different textures and sizes to make deep litter. Add more stuff as needed or when you have it to add.

I just added yard and garden waste in this picture.

deep litter run.jpg

Chicks in run.jpg

Back
Top Bottom