1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Could you use it like mulch under the trees over the winter or along the fence rows to compost or would it be too strong for the trees?Just trying to use it constructively when I have to clean the coop out. Thanks

2. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I have used the spent shavings as mulch for lots of different plants - they all seem to be doing fine if not thriving. I say go for it.

3. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Thanks Scot that is what I thought too and I am going into winter a long one

4. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I've been using all of mine to rehab some hardpan. I've just been layering it up and letting it compost. It looks awful, but it appears to be working. I'll know for sure come spring.

5. La Banan

La Banan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    hens give us twice for their feed - eggs and glorious compost. yay! And they'll even turn it over for you if you throw some scratch down once in awhile.
    jan la banan

6. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I use it to mulch around my evergreens and this past year started augmenting my garden soil (clay) with it. Adds bulk to dense soil quite nicely!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Using it for mulch is an excellent idea!!! I put my litter in my compost pile. Pine is high in acidity and my soil is low in acidity. [​IMG]

8. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    If anybody has blueberries they like extra acidity. Lots of people mix hardwood ashes in the soil around them. What could be better pine(acidity) + poop(fertilizer) = happy blueberry bushes which makes me say yum!

9. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Tomatoes also love it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by