deep litter

kelliepulido

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
st.john's mi
Could you use it like mulch under the trees over the winter or along the fence rows to compost or would it be too strong for the trees?Just trying to use it constructively when I have to clean the coop out. Thanks

I have used the spent shavings as mulch for lots of different plants - they all seem to be doing fine if not thriving. I say go for it.

I've been using all of mine to rehab some hardpan. I've just been layering it up and letting it compost. It looks awful, but it appears to be working. I'll know for sure come spring.

hens give us twice for their feed - eggs and glorious compost. yay! And they'll even turn it over for you if you throw some scratch down once in awhile.
jan la banan

Using it for mulch is an excellent idea!!! I put my litter in my compost pile. Pine is high in acidity and my soil is low in acidity.
old.gif

If anybody has blueberries they like extra acidity. Lots of people mix hardwood ashes in the soil around them. What could be better pine(acidity) + poop(fertilizer) = happy blueberry bushes which makes me say yum!

Back
Top Bottom