Deep snow and how my girls react

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ken H, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Ken H

Ken H Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    I posted on the preditor section how my girls were attacked on new years day. Thought I had lost 2 of my ISA Browns to a couple of neighbor's dogs. Two days later I found one of my girls squatted in a bunch of bushes acting like she was dying. Placed her in the coop and turned the temp up from 35 degrees F. to 55 degrees F. We had a snow fall of an additional 5" yesterday and for the first time this winter the girls won't leave the coop. I cleared a path to their faviorate watering hole (I made a artificial stream, from the sump pump discharge to the 1 acre pond in the front yard, that is unfrozen year round). The girls usually troop from the coop to the stream when I open the door of the coop each morning. With the deep snow (now 8" deep) and raised coop temp, they don't seem to want to leave the coop. I have food and water inside the coop. Even when I put treats just outside the coop they won't leave. They just crowd to the door and peer at the treats and cluck. I gave up and moved the treat bowl into the coop. It's a balmy 16 degrees out this morning but the girls are having nothing to do with it. By the way my hurt girl is eating for the first time since the attack. She's moving slow but I now have hope that she will recover.
    Those who say that chickens don't like a heated coop are wrong IMO by the way my flock is acting.

2. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    (I made a artificial stream, from the sump pump discharge to the 1 acre pond in the front yard, that is unfrozen year round)

I like that idea... we want to do that in our chicken run... one day

Most of my flock wont come out of the coop, been in there for 3 days, starting to get stinky [​IMG] the ones that do come out stay under the coop away from the snow, lol. I know they are just yelling... we want spring! [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh they like the heat, but the cold-hardy ones don't need the heat! [​IMG]

Do what you need to do, your girls were traumatized and will benefit from your kind attention. [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Glad to hear your one girl seems to be recovering!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by