Deer in the yard

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rooaroo, Feb 21, 2012.

1. rooaroo

rooaroo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    I have just over an acre for my chickens to roam. They use just around the house as their limit so I know if I cannot see them, they are not far. I looked out the window today to find them all in the large run of their coop looking out with necks held high. I looked up and saw something move past the trees. At first I thought it was a dog and started for my shoes before I saw it was a peaceful deer. Two actually. Slowly passing through and the chickens were so funny in how cautious they were. How alert to the deer they were. They weren't even all the way out of the yard before my bravest hen walks right back out and starts looking for bugs. I do not think deer are a problem unless the chickens try to start a fight first. Which mine totally would, they chase anything, dummies. I just never thought about the deer and didn't know if I should worry?

2. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Just enjoy the tranquility, but the thought of chickens attacking a deer would be fun to watch.

[​IMG]

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I have deer in my yard all the time,just a few minutes ago actually. I rapped on the window to spook a squirrel and off to my left I see something move on the edge of the woods but still didn't see anything. Then a head pops up, a big doe just grazing along, I'm like where is her running mate then she walks into view. These same two were down by the chickens a while back and they seemed more interested in the chickens,than the chickens were of them. I guessing that the girls are used to seeing them as they didn't even pick their heads up. When I first got chickens I was down tending to them and they all had their heads up and the rooster gave out the warning call and they are all looking in one direction. I was like what are they looking at? Just a big doe cruising through. They have come to know that they don't present a threat unless they try to get their food which I am sure a knock down drag'em out fight would ensue.

4. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee
    They come in my yard when the pears and apples start to drop.

So do the red foxes.

They trot right past cottontailed rabbits to eat pears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by