Deer seasons comeing up !

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
Well I always get a few deer a year (knock on wood), and I was woundering what can the chickens have?

I dont eat the heart or liver, so could they eat these?

Also can i cut the hard fat off and toss it to the girls?

I was thinking about throwing the cacarus in after im done butching and letting them clean it off.

any ideas from others?

Also what about rabbit/grouse after i took the meat for myself? can they nibbles at the bones?

I dont think there is a problem with them eating any of it. We're eating lots of venison these days given to me by a very generous friend. Not sure I'll share with my chickens, but I bet they'd like it. If they found a carcass, they'd surely pick at it.

DH is going hunting next month. I will have to tell him to make sure he brings home the livers. We ran out of venison a couple of weeks ago, first time in years. It just felt wrong buying beef, it smelled funny too. LOL

The livers are great for the chickens! Even if my husband is hunting far afield, I send big Ziploc baggie with him. He knows that the liver goes in there, and comes home with him. I usually slice and freeze them, and dole them out all winter long.

All of the other parts, well, use your best judgement. I never throw the fat to them, but if left to their own devices, I'm sure they would eat it. So it probably won't hurt them. Still, I like to think of giving meat as giving protein, and somehow the fat just seems wrong to me. That's just me, of course. My husband probably tosses it to them as he's cleaning the carcass, thinking that what I don't know won't hurt me.
smile.png

Yep yep give it all! I do that with all the Moose, Caribou, Bear, Dall Sheep and whatever else we get each year. As for the fat I melt it down and make it into suet blocks. If you feeze them they last forever and are a great treat
big_smile.png

lauralou,
Just wanted to say that I love your avatar!!

Well, I learn something everyday on BYC!! I didn't even think to give the deer liver to the boys & girls. Just one more part that won't go to waste!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom