DEFCON 5: bird mites

I don't know anything about pigeons, but I'd use the Permethrin based spray that you have, at least for the housing.
Sounds like you may have some that are a bit more persistent? If so, consider dusting the birds and spraying the housing.

I put a little permethrin based poultry dust in a sock, then use it like a powder puff on the bird to "dispense" a fine amount of powder onto the feathers, this I work down through the feathers to the skin. Making sure to get under wings/around vents, etc. While powder/dust is dusty, I find it easier to apply than spray.
Wear a mask and gloves.

I was curious what pigeon suppliers seem to carry for lice/mites - I only checked Foy's but looks like of course Permethrin is common along with Various solutions that contain Ivermectin. So...Ivermectin for Mites, may be an option for the birds themselves, but you'll still want to treat housing with Permethrin.

I don't know anything about pigeons, but I'd use the Permethrin based spray that you have, at least for the housing.
Sounds like you may have some that are a bit more persistent? If so, consider dusting the birds and spraying the housing.

I put a little permethrin based poultry dust in a sock, then use it like a powder puff on the bird to "dispense" a fine amount of powder onto the feathers, this I work down through the feathers to the skin. Making sure to get under wings/around vents, etc. While powder/dust is dusty, I find it easier to apply than spray.
Wear a mask and gloves.

I was curious what pigeon suppliers seem to carry for lice/mites - I only checked Foy's but looks like of course Permethrin is common along with Various solutions that contain Ivermectin. So...Ivermectin for Mites, may be an option for the birds themselves, but you'll still want to treat housing with Permethrin.
Thank you so much!

The spray I have been using is called Martin’s Pen and Poultry, it is .50% permethrin. Is this a sufficient concentration?

Thank you so much!

The spray I have been using is called Martin’s Pen and Poultry, it is .50% permethrin. Is this a sufficient concentration?
I would think so.

I've never used the premixed sprays, I buy the concentrate, then follow the chart (sort of 😂) on the label. I spray the outside of my coop as well as inside, so having concentrate comes in handy. And I also spray around other outbuildings I have for ants/spiders, etc.

Are those mites? Got eight legs?
I’m pretty sure. They look similar to the predatory red mites you see on rocks and stuff, though they’re more reddish brown than scarlet. They’re a bit smaller than that mite species and it’s hard to see the legs at all but they move the exact same way as other mite species I know of. They’re definitely not springtails or anything like that, and I’ve had tons of benign bugs in the loft like that before but never these mites. Seeing them actually on the pigeons would be the best way to tell but I still haven’t seen any. They could just be on the giant runt pigeons only which unfortunately have the same reddish plumage as the mites and it has been difficult to see much of anything on them.

Back
Top Bottom