Defensible coop location

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cheirogloss, Oct 21, 2009.

1. cheirogloss

cheirogloss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Lenoir, NC
    Do you think that relocating the coop from the wood edge (about 50 ft from our house) to the yard (about 20 feet from our house) would make the coop more defensible? We could run electricity etc. if it were closer, plus it would be more within earshot. Has anyone else considered the defensibilty of coop location?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Good idea. If you have the coop nearby, you could defend it better. Plus collecting eggs might be easier too.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    We just moved our closer for winter and light !

4. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    I had my first coop right outside my bedroom window, on the south side of the house, facing away from the house. The house protected the north side, the girls got the winter sun and summer shade, and they woke me up in the mornings.

They also woke me up at night. I stopped a possum and a couple of snakes that way. It was a win/win.

5. Slofr8

Slofr8 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I just moved mine today. Had it out behind the house all sumer, moving it once or twice a week. They announced snow today so here it'll be till spring. Not so much for protection but to have electricity.
    This is the south side so it will have sun all day and be sheltered from the wind as possumqueen stated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was concerned about the smell as this is our first year with chickens but I use the DLM adding lime now and then. I have lots of ventilation (thanks Pat) and just added a droppings board. Unless they poop on my boot while I'm in there, no smell.
    If it stays this way all winter, I'll be happy.
    Dan.

6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    It seems to me that preds might be less likely to come closer to the house than stay at the edge of the woods. Probably doesn't get that cold where you are, but I know I would prefer to not have to hike through the yard in the snow to tend the hens.

Sounds like a good idea.

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I put mine around 140 ft from house by choice. Did not want it close by any means. It really is a nice-looking one tho, with vinyl siding and slate colored roof. Still, did not want to risk odor being close to house, and pen is still a pen after all. I did a big pen at 2000 sq ft for 24 pullets. I ran water and power to mine before starting construction. I do have a 5 mile fence charger on mine (4 kv) with 4 courses of hot wire all the way around tho, and I do lock the girls in at night, dropping the 2 pop door guillotine type closers down for the night just in case power fails. Base of 72" pen fencing is set in cement. I am comfortable with it being out there. You could also buy a baby monitor to keep tabs on the noise level in the coop at night. I did, but have not yet used it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by