Defiant chickens protesting loud and clear !!

Carolyn252

Mother of Chickens
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Freeport/NassauCounty/L.I./NY
Few weeks ago, we thought we were outsmarting our three hens: they were occasionally pecking and cracking their eggs, so we put a tilted floor inside the nest box and covered that with a rollaway nest pad.

We also installed a false back wall that has a two inch space under it, so the eggs can roll down to where the hens can't reach them.

It worked for a few days, but they finally told me how much they miss the pine shavings: No eggs yesterday or today in the nest box. So this morning I looked around the coop carefully and sure enough, I found five eggs in a corner of the coop, all nestled in a hollowed out space in the pine-shavings floor litter.

****! So, I've removed the nest pad and added fresh shavings to the nest box. Then I lift up each hen in turn and put her in the nest box so she'd see and feel the shavings there.

The floor is still tilted. I hope that they'll lay there tomorrow and that the eggs will roll down the incline.

To further discourage laying eggs on the floor of the coop, I took a clear sheet of hard plastic and wedged it into the corner of the coop to wall off that corner where they laid their protest eggs.

We live in hope!
-Carolyn

sounds like you've got 'em beat. mine haven't started laying yet. i have the nest boxes closed off. i've recently introduced 5 chicks into the flock also. i hope i catch the first eggs right away so i can open up the nest boxes. it's a dancing act between them & us. lol

Too funny! I have so much to learn about chickens; I've only been doing this for 2 weeks now and I'm amazed at what people here know.

Back
Top Bottom