Defining broody

Anna123

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Hello! I'm quite a newbie when it comes to chickens.
I have had a pair of hens for about 7 months now and they have been brilliant, good layers every day and not a problem to date. However, today one of the hens would not leave the nest, she came out for food and then straight back in. I left them a bit then decided to clean them out. I chucked some raisins in and she then appeared out of the coop but a lot more subdued than normal. She stayed out while i cleaned the coop but went straight back in after. Logic may say that she is broody but she is not sat on any eggs and she is very quiet, not aggressive or defensive.
We did notice yesterday that her egg was smashed in the nest and she now has yolk down the back of her legs, so do not know whether this may provoke broodiness?

We're quite confused as to what could be wrong although it may be obvious to someone else. Not sure what to do as she has eaten and drunk but is now back in the nest, not sure whether to discourage this behaviour or leave her be.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks
Anna

Hello! I'm quite a newbie when it comes to chickens.
I have had a pair of hens for about 7 months now and they have been brilliant, good layers every day and not a problem to date. However, today one of the hens would not leave the nest, she came out for food and then straight back in. I left them a bit then decided to clean them out. I chucked some raisins in and she then appeared out of the coop but a lot more subdued than normal. She stayed out while i cleaned the coop but went straight back in after. Logic may say that she is broody but she is not sat on any eggs and she is very quiet, not aggressive or defensive.
We did notice yesterday that her egg was smashed in the nest and she now has yolk down the back of her legs, so do not know whether this may provoke broodiness?

We're quite confused as to what could be wrong although it may be obvious to someone else. Not sure what to do as she has eaten and drunk but is now back in the nest, not sure whether to discourage this behaviour or leave her be.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks
Anna
AS FAR AS THE BROKEN EGG IF SHE IS NOT EATING IT! SHE MAY NEED OYSTER SHELL TO HARDEN THE EGGS.
YOU DID NOT SAY IF YOU HAVE A ROO. IF NOT JUST PICK UP THE EGGS AND SHE WILL BE FINE.
ASIDE FROM NOT WANTING TO LEAVE THE NEST. MY HENS RAISE A STINK WHEN YOU TRY TO TAKE THE EGGS. SOME JUST SQUAWK BUT SOME ARE REALLY PROTECTIVE. IF SHE IS BROODY AND YOU WANT HER TO SET. SHE IS GOING TO LAY A CLUTCH OF EGG AND AS TIME GOES BYE SPEND MORE TIME WITH THEM.

Back
Top Bottom