Definitely blood in droppings

PrimeFactor

Chirping
Nov 17, 2018
Portland, OR
I posted last week because I thought there might be blood in the droppings of one of my two rescue hens, but ended up concluding that it was the beets I'd been feeding them. I stopped feeding them beets but today the red stain is there again, staining the pine shavings where there are droppings.

I'm trying to determine who it is so I can take her to the vet, but am panicking in the meantime. What are some things this might be? I'm sorry, I don't have photos...

Any thoughts or ideas or advice would be helpful! They are black australorps, about 3 years old. They are both still consistently laying eggs even though it's winter. They eat standard laying-hen grain feed along with a few little supplementals like warm oatmeal, hemp hearts, and a salad every morning.

Thank you!

If you're sure the beets are long gone, it could be blood.
Do they have access to soil/free range?
It could be coccidiosis since they are new to your property. They could have been exposed to a strain of coccidia they are not resistant to.
I would probably start them on a course of Corid (amprolium) immediately just to be safe.

Awesome! I will buy some first thing in the morning -- I'll bet they have it at the urban farm store. I'm so relieved that it might be a simple fix! I love my little Mildred & Peaches so much and can't stand the thought of them suffering. ☹️

If the wood shavings are being stained red I would say the beets are still passing through as that beats are not like corn I would give her a bit more time I know my geese take several weeks to recover from beets as one of my grandchildren was feeding them to the geese to see if it would change the color of the eggs ....

:old

Back
Top Bottom