Definitely not a Plymouth Rock

sarahnicole

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 11, 2013
I purchased two chicks over the summer at the county fair, both supposedly Plymouth Rocks. They were both all black and exactly the same size when I got them. One of them, Shadow, is definitely a Plymouth Rock, with her beautiful black and white barred pattern and red crown. The other one, Dragon, is looking increasingly different everyday. She has very glossy jet-black feathers that have a blue-ish hue in the sunlight, a red crown, and dark gray feet and a beak. She has a single white spot on each of her wing tips, and the feathers around her neck/chest are laced in a mocha brown. She's scrawnier than the others but eats well. I'm very curious what breed she is, and what eggs I will be getting from her. Thank you in advance. :)

Pics? Kinda necessary here......
wink.png

I agree, we need photos. However, from your description, it sounds like she could be a Black Sex-Link. They look similar to Barred Rocks as chicks. Does your bird look like this?:

Both images are from Feathersite.com
BlackSexLinkP.JPEG
BkSexLFront.JPEG

I agree, we need photos. However, from your description, it sounds like she could be a Black Sex-Link. They look similar to Barred Rocks as chicks. Does your bird look like this?:

Both images are from Feathersite.com
BlackSexLinkP.JPEG
BkSexLFront.JPEG

She looks more like the one on the left.... pictures to come. :) Thank you!

At least going by your explanation, I think that Shadow is a Black Sex-link (also known as Black Star). They look similar as chicks, but change in appearance as they get older. She should be a great layer of large brown eggs!

Here she is! I had a chicken photo shoot yesterday, and Dragon was getting pretty impatient. :p

I purchased her with Shadow, who is a Plymouth Rock.

Back
Top Bottom