Deformation and breeding

Hiimscott

Chirping
Feb 24, 2022
Hey everyone, a few months ago I bought a trio of white silkies, after I got them home I noticed that they all had 1 of their toe nails on each foot was upside down, would this be a bad idea to breed them?

Hey guys, I bought these at an auction, no chance of speaking to the breeder.

I've made the decision to pass on the roo. Which brings me to this, I've just bought a very nice roo from a reputable breeder. If I breed him with these girls what are the chances of the genetic still passing through? Is it work giving it a go? Or should I just simply use these girls for eggs/broodiness

Thanks 🙂

Hey guys, I bought these at an auction, no chance of speaking to the breeder.

I've made the decision to pass on the roo. Which brings me to this, I've just bought a very nice roo from a reputable breeder. If I breed him with these girls what are the chances of the genetic still passing through? Is it work giving it a go? Or should I just simply use these girls for eggs/broodiness

Thanks 🙂
I wouldn't risk it, especially if you're hoping to sell chicks, show birds, improve the breed, etc. I have no idea what genetic factors are contributing to the issues and I have to imagine you don't want to see it popping up in offspring or grand-offspring.

As long as the hens are otherwise in good health no reason they can't give you some tasty eggs and maybe raise a brood or two.

I would not breed defective animals, not even in a cross with healthy ones. It's just unethical. Especially if it's not something that only affects the looks (like wrong color), but is actually anatomical. Breeding with, and especially for (!) defects is how you end up with a lot of problems, like silkies dying when they get an ordinary peck on the head because they have a literal hole in their skull. Which reminds me - check any silkies you do choose to breed for vaulted skulls. Those are the ones with holes in them, that should ideally also not be bred.

Back
Top Bottom