deformed baby chick

miguel2299

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
I got a baby chick from a local feed store she/he is a bantam road island red I got her today and i bought 3 more with it and it gets pushed around by the others will it be okay or will it get killed

The other chicks will pick on him because he's different, they will peck or target anything that is different, even just a different colored chick :( If you are able to you might want to consider searching "how to cull a chick" or call the store and speak with them if he was like that when you bought him. They should not have been selling him, IMO. I don't know if I'd be able to put down one of my own chickens. Best of luck to you! I hope someone can post better advice than what I gave you

-Katie

welcome-byc.gif
What is deformed about him? If it's not life threatening there is no reason to euthanize him. Chickens will pick on anything that's different even if it's just coloring or type of feathers, so It's not a sign that he's in bad shape. Isolate him from the others before they do kill him and give him a chance to grow and blossom.

welcome-byc.gif
What is deformed about him? If it's not life threatening there is no reason to euthanize him. Chickens will pick on anything that's different even if it's just coloring or type of feathers, so It's not a sign that he's in bad shape. Isolate him from the others before they do kill him and give him a chance to grow and blossom.
So would they always have to keep him separate from the others, even as adults? Or do you think they will just eventually be okay together? I'd hate to put down a chick but at the same time their is a quality of life issue. When I went to the store to pick up my 2nd batch of chicks there was 1 chick who had a sore on it's leg and the other chicks were viciously attacking it, I was actually kind of surprised. I've read from many different sources that chicks can kill another in a very short amount of time.

I think if they grow up together they will be okay together...I've had limping chickens chickens that have been injured, etc., and since they were raised together, they adapted well.

Back
Top Bottom