Deformed baby! Help!

HeartsHolly17

Chirping
Apr 11, 2020
I’ve been incubating three silkie eggs I bought online and only one of them survived. The other two died mid hatch and never pipped. The last one was peeping up a storm and I could see it wiggle and try to get out but it just couldn’t seem to make a hole. I made a safety hole and assisted the hatch after that didn’t work and now I know why. He has a facial deformity that cut his beak in half.

Does anyone know what this is and if he can survive? He’s so strong for such a bad circumstance

Attachments

• A9052634-B3D3-4C5B-A1E7-7B168C18E090.jpeg
    A9052634-B3D3-4C5B-A1E7-7B168C18E090.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 8E4CC87E-24B6-4CDF-970B-876EEC1A52C6.jpeg
    8E4CC87E-24B6-4CDF-970B-876EEC1A52C6.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 19
I’ve been incubating three silkie eggs I bought online and only one of them survived. The other two died mid hatch and never pipped. The last one was peeping up a storm and I could see it wiggle and try to get out but it just couldn’t seem to make a hole. I made a safety hole and assisted the hatch after that didn’t work and now I know why. He has a facial deformity that cut his beak in half.

Does anyone know what this is and if he can survive? He’s so strong for such a bad circumstance
With a skull & beak that badly deformed I don't think he'll ever be able to properly eat or drink on his own. This is a really severe deformity.

I'm so sorry. :hugs

I'm very sorry. :hugs I often go to lengths to save birds, but in this case I think the advice to cull is the correct one. IF it survived, which is not a given, its going to be special needs and labor intensive always. The deformities are severe and often the ones you can see are only part of the problem, there are often more issues that are not obvious. I think in this case it would be a kindness to not let it suffer. I'm truly sorry.

I'm so, so sorry this is happening. He'll never ben able to eat on his own, and unless you plan on feeding and watering him his whole life, I would cull.
Its so hard when you only have one baby, I'm so sorry. I remember when I set 18 eggs, hoping for a 50% hatch rate. I got one baby, and she died a few days after hatch. Its so devastating. Again, I'm sorry. :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom