Deformed beak issues?

mom2jedi

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
San Diego, CA
My hatchery Salmon Favorelles (hatched Aug. 23rd) shipped to me with an odd looking top beak. Didn't think much of it at the time as she was eating, drinking, and growing just fine, she just couldn't/wouldn't close her beak all the way like the top beak was a little too short for the bottom one to fit comfortably when closed. Was looking everyone over today and watched her drinking. Picked her up to give her a quick once over and noticed she was breathing out of her mouth. Not a big deal I thought since she was thoroughly ticked at being messed with till I took a closer look at her nostrils. It appears only one of them is open far enough to breathe through and even that one is a bit tight. When I put her down I looked at her from above and her beak is slightly curved to her right which is the side the blocked nostril is on. I really wanted a SF and only ordered one since my flock is almost at the legal limit. Is there anything I can do for her to help open that airway better or is it possible as she grows she'll have more room to breathe? I can try and take a picture if it will help but she's not very cooperative sometimes.

I would suggest you do a search on crossbeak. I've never dealt with it, but it sounds like you might have to.

Back
Top Bottom