Deformed chicks I need to cull.

I'm trying to differentiate cervical dislocation from decapitation - the read was interesting, but ultimately unhelpful in that. The read provided details, yes, but the fact that brain activity continues after the spine is severed was not a new fact, just as it continues after dislocation...

Such as

And this

The latter were one of the publications I came across recently. What I can summize from the recent readings I've done so far is that both CD and decap present advantages and disavantages.

There is indeed a lot of user biasness when CD is used as pointed out by @JacinLarkwell and @Livestalk. You'll need to do it right but once you do, it's very straightforward and less bloody compared to decap (see article). From my readings so far however, probably the least painful way for the subject would be to euthanize via lethal injection but that is near impossible in a backyard setting. Again, lethal injection also has it's problems: Some subjects require a far higher dose for termination than others. There is also the issue of using a syringe correctly and carefully and legal access to the drug. Also if you were planning to consume the carcass you wouldn't wish for any residual chemicals to be present in the meat from the injection.

Current commercial euthanasia methods are far from ideal (see article) and actually seemingly very cruel. My personal opinion is either CD and decap would be acceptible given current considerations.

The latter were one of the publications I came across recently. What I can summize from the recent readings I've done so far is that both CD and decap present advantages and disavantages.

There is indeed a lot of user biasness when CD is used as pointed out by @JacinLarkwell. You'll need to do it right but once you get it right, it's very straightforward and less bloody compared to decap (see article). From my readings so far however, probably the least painful way for the subject would be to euthanize via lethal injection but that is near impossible in a backyard setting. Again, lethal injection also has it's problems: Some subjects require a far higher dose for termination than others. There is also the issue of using a syringe correctly and carefully and legal access to the drug. Also if you were planning to consume the carcass you wouldn't wish for any residual chemicals to be present in the meat from the injection.

Current commercial euthanasia methods are far from ideal (see article) and actually seemingly very cruel. My personal opinion is either CD and decap would be acceptible given current considerations.
OK, we are on the same page. I eat all my culls, so "bloody" is actually an advantage to me. I consider decap to be a superior - faster - kill than double neck cuts and a hanging bleed out - but I'm now quite practiced at it.

The parts that make most people squeemish? I'm not wired like they are. I don't enjoy it, my personality doesn't lean psychopath - but the process of snatching a bird up, hanging it from the scale, taking the head off, scalding and plucking or disrobing, then parting out the bird is a largely mechanical, emotionless task for me.

OK, we are on the same page. I eat all my culls, so "bloody" is actually an advantage to me. I consider decap to be a superior - faster - kill than double neck cuts and a hanging bleed out - but I'm now quite practiced at it.

The parts that make most people squeemish? I'm not wired like they are. I don't enjoy it, my personality doesn't lean psychopath - but the process of snatching a bird up, hanging it from the scale, taking the head off, scalding and plucking or disrobing, then parting out the bird is a largely mechanical, emotionless task for me.
I'm jelly.

Absoutely agree. My personal take is that if you wanna eat meat, then you bl**dy well should learn how to kill it. I believe that modern society is so disconnected from their animal food source that there is a resistance/denial to the ugly truth behind how meat is obtained... ie. nobody wanna know how it's done, they just want to eat the end product. The result is we have subjected ourselves to meat gluttony.

Consume what you need and not more. Something had to die for your satiety.....No hippiness intended here. Just hard facts from my personal opinion.

You're not the only one, because that's about how it is for me too.

Considering that I'm pretty squeamish about some other matters, I really don't know why I'm not squeamish about butchering. Maybe it's because I grew up with it. :confused:

Most of my culls, i still feel awful. Especially if its for a stupid reason, like I couldn't get them better after they got ill or i just couldnt find them a home. Once the cut is done and im carrying then back to the table, its better, but up to the cut is rough for me.

Now, if they're an AH, its far easier

Most of my culls, i still feel awful. Especially if its for a stupid reason, like I couldn't get them better after they got ill or i just couldnt find them a home. Once the cut is done and im carrying then back to the table, its better, but up to the cut is rough for me.

Now, if they're an AH, its far easier

I've watched several documentaries over the years featuring remote tribal villages in parts of Africa and other places and when they hunt their game, they always pay their respect to the kill by speaking to the animal and thanking them for providence & sustenance and thanking their Gods for it. It's how humans should be... compassionate & respectful.

Last edited:
There is a much easier and more humane method to cull chicks. Go to automotive department at store and purchase engine starting fluid. Put the chick in a baggie and spray some fluid on a paper towel and put it in the baggie. Add a spray of the fluid to the bag. The chick will just go to sleep and die. Leave it in the bag until it dies. Don't feed the chicks to other animals. All the starting fluid is is just ether.

There is a much easier and more humane method to cull chicks. Go to automotive department at store and purchase engine starting fluid. Put the chick in a baggie and spray some fluid on a paper towel and put it in the baggie. Add a spray of the fluid to the bag. The chick will just go to sleep and die. Leave it in the bag until it dies. Don't feed the chicks to other animals. All the starting fluid is is just ether.
How is a quick head removal or cervical dislocation less humane than them suffocating?

Back
Top Bottom