I am absolutely infuriated. This is going to be a long post so I am sorry for that in advance. I have been hesitant about posting anything about this experience at all but after yesterdays events I don't feel like I have a choice as I really need help! I am a first time chicken owner. I ordered 12 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chicks from a breeder in early May. I paid what I think is a lot of money, $7 each. This breeder was recommended to me by a highly reputable breeder so I trusted that I would be getting good quality, healthy chicks. I chose to go with a breeder because of some of the health issues I had read about people experiencing when ordering from big hatcheries. I also wanted my Wyandottes to look like they were supposed to. I received a call from the breeder on June 6th telling me that they could send my order but it would not be the 12 day olds I ordered. They only had 10 day olds and they would "throw in" 5 free 3 week old birds. I could take this or I could wait 2 more weeks. They gave me about 5 minutes to decide as she had to get to the post office within the hour. So, I took it. When my birds arrived all 15 were alive but 2 of the day olds had severely deformed legs and feet. Their ankle bones were turned in at a right angle to the leg and I could not straighten the leg bones without the chicks screaming in pain. Making shoes wasn't an option. They could not walk. This means they couldn't get to food, water or heat. On my first day as a chicken owner I had to hold 2 helpless baby chicks and snap their necks. This is something I don't feel like I should have had to do! I paid good money for healthy birds. I realize that culling is something every chicken owner will one day have to face but this does not seem right. I emailed the breeder very nicely and told her the situation. (paraphrasing) She was very short and told me that it was from piling during shipping and that she is glad I still have at least the 12 birds that I ordered. No apology, no nothing. The email came off to me that she was only interested in making sure I wasn't asking for a refund for the 2 culled birds, which I wasn't. I decided to just forget about it and enjoy my new babies. About 3 days later after my older birds have settled in I realize that one of them has a deformed toe. I thought it was broken at first so I examined it. The second joint in the toe is simply not there. I can hold the tip of the toe and rotate half of the toe around 360 degrees. The end of the toe just flops around when the bird walks. I am fairly sure if it was a toe that had broken and healed that the bones would be fused in some way and the toe would be rigid. Either way I don't feel like the breeder should have sent me this bird. Now we are going to fast forward to yesterday afternoon. I have 8 baby chicks left and they turned 2 weeks old today. I took them outside to play in my enclosed run while the older chicks were locked in the hen house. 7 of the chicks ran around playing as normal and one chick refused to walk. I picked it up and it laid limp in my hand. I felt it's crop and it was totally empty. I rushed it inside and fed it electrolytes and egg yolks. Once the chick gained some energy and stood up I realized there is something really wrong with it. The chick has trouble walking. It limps around like it's drunk. It's holding it's right wing funny. I inspected it and it looks like there is some type of bone deformity between it's right wing and it's neck. There is a bald spot and a bulbous area where I can see a bone poking up into the skin. I moved the chicks legs and wings around and felt all over and it's not in any pain so I don't think it's an injury. Now I am livid. I am scared to death that several of my chicks have internal deformities that will start to affect them as they grow. I am also really upset because my original plan was to sell off all my extra chicks and keep only 3-5 hens. I don't feel like it is ethical for me to sell any of these chicks not knowing what could be wrong with them. I have been in tears since yesterday thinking about the possibility of having to cull another chick. I am hesitant to email the breeder again because she was so uncaring before I feel like it will do nothing but start a fight and I'm not interested in having a pissing contest. Someone please help me. How likely is it that all my new birds are going to have problems? What am I supposed to do with my extra birds at this point? I am totally new to chickens and I thought I had my bases covered.