Deformed egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rustychickens, May 29, 2016.

1. Rustychickens

Rustychickens New Egg

May 29, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Anybody know what could be causing this?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I call those ones bullet holed, lol... nope, not a body check... that is actually caused by a 2nd egg going into the 'chute' before the 1st one is fully formed... it causes a 'dent' and then hardens up...

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I did think a white banded egg but it was the raised ring that made me think body checked. It was the raised ring that made me think body checked but white band can obviously be different in shape and texture :D

5. Rustychickens

Rustychickens New Egg

May 29, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm pretty new to this chicken stuff, but loving every minute!

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’ll include both my links. Between the two of them you can probably find exactly what you are seeing. To me, that looks like two eggs in the shell gland at the same time, called white banded eggs or flat sided eggs. If this occurs regularly the hen may have a problem with her internal egg making factory by releasing too many yolks to start the egg making process, but if it is pretty rare it’s not a real problem. Oops sometimes happen.

Egg Shell Defects
    https://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf

Egg Quality Handbook
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by