Deformed Egg??

KLPT

Hatching
Feb 5, 2024
Hi guys, I have three jumbo quail hens that I keep in one coop all around 1 year old. They typically lay in the afternoon. This morning I found something really strange that seems to be a deformed egg.

It is dark green, seems to have a leathery but also fragile shell. It must be from a hen because it has blood, droppings and a kind of mucus on it when I found it. I haven’t cut it open yet because I’m worried about smell and it kind of freaks me out….

Nothing really has changed in their behaviour, except I have been introducing two new hens in a nearby cage for the past 3 days. They have seemed a little excited and curious about this but not stressed.

Does anyone know what it could be or mean?

Thanks

Attachments

• 30099CE7-AA3A-40CE-A81B-213A9DEDE8AC.jpeg
    30099CE7-AA3A-40CE-A81B-213A9DEDE8AC.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 14CDADE4-6585-440B-B6D4-D8A452E244D0.jpeg
    14CDADE4-6585-440B-B6D4-D8A452E244D0.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 9907B6DA-55F5-43D6-B40F-CA997DEA3605.jpeg
    9907B6DA-55F5-43D6-B40F-CA997DEA3605.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 08E8C7C6-354E-4CB2-91DD-0844985DF638.jpeg
    08E8C7C6-354E-4CB2-91DD-0844985DF638.jpeg
    441.1 KB · Views: 12
Hi guys, I have three jumbo quail hens that I keep in one coop all around 1 year old. They typically lay in the afternoon. This morning I found something really strange that seems to be a deformed egg.

It is dark green, seems to have a leathery but also fragile shell. It must be from a hen because it has blood, droppings and a kind of mucus on it when I found it. I haven’t cut it open yet because I’m worried about smell and it kind of freaks me out….

Nothing really has changed in their behaviour, except I have been introducing two new hens in a nearby cage for the past 3 days. They have seemed a little excited and curious about this but not stressed.

Does anyone know what it could be or mean?

Thanks
Can you cut it open?

Any of your hens acting off?
What do you feed?
Do you offer any Calcium to your Quail hens?

Can you cut it open?

Any of your hens acting off?
What do you feed?
Do you offer any Calcium to your Quail hens?
I have cut it open.. so strange it does appear to be an egg.

I feed them game bird pellets:
https://www.petbarn.com.au/peckish-...-fYmMCa16lHdlq8yDyoCAGObAMD7bdARoC458QAvD_BwE

And dried crickets or mealworms as treats usually once a day.

and give them a liquid calcium and ACV in their water and have been for at least 6months

I have checked again and all of them are acting normally.

Attachments

• 3F307818-5ED8-4A78-92AB-883DDF707674.jpeg
    3F307818-5ED8-4A78-92AB-883DDF707674.jpeg
    857.4 KB · Views: 10

https://www.petbarn.com.au/peckish-...-fYmMCa16lHdlq8yDyoCAGObAMD7bdARoC458QAvD_BwE

and give them a liquid calcium and ACV in their water and have been for at least 6months

Feed looks good.

A Quail's reproductive system works like a Chicken's so, I'd chalk it up to a glitch unless you notice one acting off.
Was there an odor or anything that made you think infection? If so, let us know.
Also are you in AU, EU or ?

Quail can be quirky, if you have placed newbies beside them, then that can get them a bit out of sorts. Funny little birds. I hope if you are going to put them all together you have plenty of space and hides. Sometimes they can be territorial and while they usually behave when the can "see and not touch", once together they get ready to rumble.

Is that an egg within an egg? There are all kinds of weird eggs possible. I don’t know much about quail though. Do any of the hens look lethargic or fluffed up? Hopefully, it is just a one time thing, possibly from stress. Here is an article with some various pictures of egg defects:
https://www.yellowbirchhobbyfarm.com/weird-eggs-101-the-oddities-explained/

Is that an egg within an egg? There are all kinds of weird eggs possible. I don’t know much about quail though. Do any of the hens look lethargic or fluffed up? Hopefully, it is just a one time thing, possibly from stress. Here is an article with some various pictures of egg defects:
https://www.yellowbirchhobbyfarm.com/weird-eggs-101-the-oddities-explained/
Thanks! After cutting it open it seemed like there were two layers of shell/membrane but only one yolk. Looking at that link it seems more like a soft shelled egg with a growth. None fluffed up at egg laying is back to normal the next day so hopeful it’s just a one off!

Feed looks good.

A Quail's reproductive system works like a Chicken's so, I'd chalk it up to a glitch unless you notice one acting off.
Was there an odor or anything that made you think infection? If so, let us know.
Also are you in AU, EU or ?

Quail can be quirky, if you have placed newbies beside them, then that can get them a bit out of sorts. Funny little birds. I hope if you are going to put them all together you have plenty of space and hides. Sometimes they can be territorial and while they usually behave when the can "see and not touch", once together they get ready to rumble.
Thanks for the reply :) no strange smells, the weird egg did have a slight smell to it but not pungent. I’m in AU, we did go through a very high temp week a couple of weeks ago and it’s been warm since but nothing they’re not used to.
I think it is a one off because egg laying is back to normal today.

I’ve had 5 in that coop before but that’s good to know about hiding places. I might add some to change things up before introducing the new girls fully.

Strange little birds indeed!

Back
Top Bottom