Deformed foot question

Kherome

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
I had a chick hatch with a deformed foot. The toes are curled. Now, he is hopping and peeping and eating and drinking with the best of them and seems quite happy. None of the birds that hatched recently will go into a breeder role in life, they are all for the freezer. (Assuming they make it that far.)

My question is, is it possible for him to live and grow? Or is it cruel to allow him to go on? Will the leg improve or get worse? Should I kill him now, or give him a chance?

Question whether or not you feel he has an acceptable quality of life. He sounds happy, so maybe keep him around?

Just a report back, I made a home splint for the chick. Today he is tooling around 90% normal. You almost cannot tell he was deformed. In another day or two, if this keeps up, he will be indistinguishable from the normal chicks. Yay for him! None of this hatch will be bred, they'll just be freezer birds eventually, so his deformity doesn't really matter now.

Typically this is a sign of a fluctuation of either temperature or humidity during incubation, when more than one chick hatches with curled toes. When it is only one chick, it is often (but not always) a chick that spent too long stuck in it's shell (which can be caused by a zillion things). Curled and crooked toes can also be genetic and you should avoid breeding them just in case. It does not however affect the taste ;)...or a pet for those who don't consume their quail.

Oh I will make sure none of these guys go into the breeding pen. But since they are all doing well thus far, I have hope that they'll go into the freezer at least!

I am unsure what's up with the happenings though. I watched the temps carefully and never saw more than 1 degree fluctuations up or down. Humidity might have changed more? It's hard when you're not able to be there looking at it constantly.

It's always hard to figure out what went on with one specific egg so I wouldn't let it bother you much. It's very possible he just made a wrong move and got stuck in the shell for a few extra hours causing it be curled.

Back
Top Bottom