Deformed leg?

ZJchicks

Chirping
6 Years
May 29, 2013
Hello! We just hatched 3 healthy Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks from a nest that was discovered when a hen stopped sitting on it after a week. A fourth egg needed assistance in hatching. She is now out of the egg but one foot is somewhat curled so we put the cardboard/bandaid booties on her feet. Then we noticed the same leg seems like it has a bend in it above the knee and maybe slightly longer than the other. We've tried taping like its splayed legs but it does not seem like it can stand. Has anyone had luck with saving a chick like this? It's about 24 hours out of the egg and I'm hoping the leg can heal.

No, it does not look like the one in the picture. More like a small bend above the joint. I will try to get a pic when I get back home. The slipped tendon sounds possible. I will read up on the second link.

Yes, the feet need retaping, got messed up while away from the house. The leg on the left in the picture is the one in question. Also has the curled foot. In the second pic you can see how the right leg has a normal bend at the joint. While I took the pics I tried bending it and the joint seems stiff and the point where might have the deformitu and looks to bend out a bit is a little above the joint. I'm less hopeful now that I noticed the joint seems stuff and not moveable.

Last edited:
A chick chair might help.
You may need to see how she does with either a sling or keeping her in the brooder. You don't want her to lose her place in the pecking order, but you also don't want them to attack her. Here are some more chick chair pictures:

6612_chick_chair.jpg
342f3cc0_112990_dscn0543.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you have any instructions on this? Right now I have her getting support under her butt with a washcloth. She is tryig to stand but hasn't done so yet. She is still pepping away and trying so I don't want to give up on her.

Well we went ahead and made a our own version of the chick sling. I couldn't handle seeing her in pain. Will post pics once she gets to spend a little time in the incubator to warm up.

Sorry I haven't been online much today. I've never made a chick sling but I believe @casportpony maybe has, also @Eggcessive . I just found that post in another thread

Back
Top Bottom