Deformed quail chick?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jfulcher, Aug 22, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    What do I do? It came out with no eye on one side and its beak is twisted up... It seems like its head is malformed...

2. Mek

Mek Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's going to have a problem eating ....

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

It's your call.. but personally I would cull a bird like that..
    It's not something I would want in my breeding stock and with a malformed beak it could prevent it from eating right... I would think a quick death would be much better than slowly starving to death (though I must admit I have no idea how badly the beak is deformed.. so that's just an assumption on my part)

however as I said.. it's your bird.. so the final decision is yours

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    You wouldn't want to pass those genes on would you.... Crossed beak chicks should be culled IMHO... Bill

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i'm with everyone else, cull(kill) it would be the best thing for it, and yourself.

hand it over to DH and let him do it.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If you don't cull it, it will probably die on its own anyway. I've not had any quail chicks hatch like that, but I got a Polish chick in a hatchery order one time that was like that. It didn't live more than a few days.

Usually that's caused from genetics or from an incubation problem (temps too high or too low).

7. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I would cull it, but it's your bird. I have a friend with a goose that has a deformed bill. It has no growth on one side, and it is fine. I wouldn't want to pass that on in my breeding stock,and it might not even live. It's your call.

8. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    If you think that it could live a happy, healthy life, then keep it. But if not, killing it would be the best choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by