deformed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maddogmike333, Sep 19, 2009.

1. maddogmike333

maddogmike333 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2009
    SAFETY HARBOR FLORIDA
    I Have A Chick That Hatched 2 Days Ago It Has A Deformed Foot One Foot Half Of It Is Kinda Rolled Under Will It Survive And Be Happy.please Help

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I suppose I would just watch it and see how it does. Is it eating and drinking okay??? If it's able to get to food and water, and doesn't appear to be in pain, surely it will be okay. Now if it's not eating, unable to get around any, or others are picking at it...I'd say you're going to have to make a decision about whether to cull or not. Whether it would outgrow the foot issue or not I don't have enough experience to guess. Good luck with your little bird...

3. happychickmom

happychickmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    Does the chick have curled toes? There is a remedy for that. Here is a link that helped us fix our chick's toes 4 months ago. Her toes are still a little crooked, but she can walk, run, scratch and perch just fine! (She had curled toes on both feet and couldn't stand until we put the boots on.)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=51112

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It sounds like it has curled toes, which is most often a result of a difficult hatch. Definitely make the boots. You can also try gently stretching the toes 3 or more times a day, that helps too sometimes.

5. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Can I just say that little chick w/the boots on in the linked thread is the CUTEST chick I have ever seen in my life??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by