Deformity in Hatchling Quail

TheCakeIsAWolf

Chirping
Oct 11, 2017
Northern Virginia
The past two days I've had quail eggs hatching without complication but today we had one hatch with multiple complications. I don't think it fully absorbed it's yolk(?) and it has some tissue sticking out of its belly and I assumed it would either dry off or the chick would die. I noticed recently as well that it's leg is messed up as well. He doesn't seem to be acting in pain but he hatched with the bone protruding from his heal and I can't imagine that is or will remain comfortable. the foot sticks straight up behind his wing and he can only wabble around.
I know that it won't self correct so my first instinct is to cull but my friend offered to take him for me. I'd like to just let the bird live but if it's going to be in pain or be miserable till it dies I'd like to just end it for him. Does anyone have any thoughts or input?
IMG_20190105_194531602.jpg

IMG_20190105_194538737.jpg

Thanks for the reassurance, I just didn't want to jump to killing it right away but looking at it now it's definitely the right move. I'm pretty versed on the starter fluid ether method is that the one you're talking about?

Three of my chicks hatched with that sort of leg problem... I let the strongest little guy struggle for about a week before I finally made the decision to cull him. I wish I had made it earlier, because it only got harder the longer he lived, and I kept hoping there was a chance for a quality life. Does anyone know what causes this or how to prevent it?

Back
Top Bottom